Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Cougar in Illinois today >

Cougar in Illinois today

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Cougar in Illinois today

Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cougar in Illinois today

ORIGINAL: daughenbaugh hunter

you know i know alot of farmers here, because i farm sheep. but i will say this we have a nice buffalo farm big one and they get out sometimes, and you wanna talk about a heater hunting frenzy, LOL. Also we have a meat slaughter house very small in seward illinois. a few bear and fallow ran off from there never to be found,
and the funniest thing that ever happened to me. we had a animal right group about 1998 release thousand of black mink from a farm nearby about 12 miles away, well i was bass fishing in the lake in winnebago illinois and guess what 3 black mink where running across the bank, so i got a chuckle they were a happy family to be free.
That's interesting,especially about the bear getting loose.There used to be a pretty good sized mink farm outside of Chrystal Lake&Huntly.Winnebago is where my bud mentioned the Elk farrm being too.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Spike

hello drstalker i live 10 minutes from winnebago, in pecatonica and my inlaws live in winnebago. well i can check and see about the elk farm, but i do love it up here my family has been in this area for 150 from pennsylvania and we farmed since they came from germany. but now we have so many subdivisions coming up it is out of hand, but we still have our farms and those areas are untouched thank god
Like the song "Daddy wont sell the farm". if your ever up this way ill show you some northern illinois deer. i take my family for rides about 3 times a week, a place here called severson dells it is private state land and honest you will se about 40 deer within a 3 mile ride, it is between winnebago and byron illinois.
i have many pictures of that area. but it is nice up here and many deer still even though they are building crazy. but also the good thing stephenson county is not building too much so all my family farms are in that county,
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM

In 2003 me and my wife where going south on rt 166 south east of Marion IL, when we watched a full grown cougar walking across a field I do alot of dove hunting in,,,,,,,,, in 2006 I was deer hunting on some Property that we manage between Marion and Harrisburg Ill when I spotted a Long tailed cat walking across the hill top only 80 yards away,,,so don't let anybody tell you there are no cougars in southern Il, because there has been too many sighting in our area for there not to be,,,,but IDNR will tell you otherwise.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Spike

i agree with you all roberts, im sure their are cougars out there especially in the southern part of our state, due to all the woods like shawnee forest, and how would the DNR know everything that is out their, they still have not caught big foot lol. hey how many doves does it take to eat a good meal, also i own land in northern maine too i hunt there every few years, and i hunt alot of grouse their, to clean them you stand on their wings and pull there feet and they turn inside out.
Then you pull out the breast meat . is it the samewith dove? we have alot of dove up here in northern illinois, but i hunted all my life up here, since i was 12 im 33 now but i have never seen dove hunters here. well good luck killing them, william daughenbaugh pecatonica illinois
Old 05-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: daughenbaugh hunter

hello drstalker i live 10 minutes from winnebago, in pecatonica and my inlaws live in winnebago. well i can check and see about the elk farm, but i do love it up here my family has been in this area for 150 from pennsylvania and we farmed since they came from germany. but now we have so many subdivisions coming up it is out of hand, but we still have our farms and those areas are untouched thank god
Like the song "Daddy wont sell the farm". if your ever up this way ill show you some northern illinois deer. i take my family for rides about 3 times a week, a place here called severson dells it is private state land and honest you will se about 40 deer within a 3 mile ride, it is between winnebago and byron illinois.
i have many pictures of that area. but it is nice up here and many deer still even though they are building crazy. but also the good thing stephenson county is not building too much so all my family farms are in that county,
I know a little about the area youre talking about daughenbaugh,another one of my fellow lineman buddies recently bought fourty acres,that he said backs up to another 1500 or so wooded acres,I have seen lots of deer and turkey in the area,I also fish the Rock river out thatway too.That area you live in is some of northern Illinoisnicest land there is.I live in the Fox River Valley,andpretty much grew up here,and am from theRend lake areain southern Illinois.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Don't believe the DNR when they say there are not any cougars in the area. We were told the same thing a few years ago, but now we know better as a couple have had to be killed as they are entering towns. One that had to be shot was actually stalking a kid. In South Dakota, we went from the DNR saying that we don't have any outside of the Black Hills to actually having a hunting season for them now.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Could have been my Cat, he was out all night j/k. I live in Mahomet and have not yet heard of any sighting's around here. I guess I will pay a little more attention to the local new's and see if anything's mentioned. There are alot of deer around this area, most night's I can just look out my back door across I74 and see half a dozen or more.

One of my co- worker's actually hit one on rt 47 (just north of here)while riding his motorcycle a couple of week's ago. He got away with just some road-rash, and about $3500 damage to his bike. His girlfriend broke her femur and had a rod put in her leg. Could have been much worse though.