Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters >

IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

Depending on how you read this, it really isn't as bad as it seems. For example, we run a outdoor charity event every year for children and we bring in a celebrity guest speaker.It is a huge fundraiser that brings in a lot of money for kids.We are yet to have a guest speaker chargeus for coming to the event, however some of the speakers have requested a turkey hunt in return.Since the speaker isn't officially signed untilsometime in April, it's impossible to get a tag (especially since they mostlyare out of staters). In the past, we have been fortunate enough to have the DNR give us a tag under these circumstances.

I agree it isn't as fair for the average hunter, but theaverage hunter isn't bringing in several thousandsof dollars for charityevents either. I'm sure not all of the tags given are for reasons like the one I just mentioned, but there is "some" good in giving out the tags.
Just because the folks (appears you as you are speaking/posting) organizing the "charity event" wait until April to sign the "celebrity" speaker - that is justification to sneak a turkey tag? Then where does it go? Because it's a celebrity we'll give them a high speed police ******? Stop traffic at all the intersections for them? Kick the newlyweds out of the bridal suite for the celebrity?

Maybe someone should have thought a little ahead of the game if it's so clear.

What I'm saying is that it sucks to be the guy who pay's income tax here, real estate taxes, sales taxes and wholelly contributes to the states economy and then doesn'tdraw a tag. Then some celebrity comes into his state and gets a special tag for speaking? BS I say.

Who's your next "celebrity" guest speaker? Troy Gentry or Bill Dance?

The peole of this state (and all states) are getting sick and tired of certain (99.9% politically connected) people getting preferential treatment!

Not knocking your charity but the practice of the special priveledge permit issuance!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

JohnnyLonghorns;
we run a outdoor charity event every year for children and we bring in a celebrity guest speaker.
however some of the speakers have requested a turkey hunt in return.
Any Celebrity that would ask for some kind of compinsation in return for the participation in a childrens charity would not be the kind of mentor or someone to look up to that I would be looking for.... for any child. IMO
I have been involved with many charities, fundraisers and Not For Profit Organization events.. and Never has one of our Celebrities or Olympic Gold Medalist's, or Professional Hunter or Pro Tournament Archers ever asked for anything in return for their participation in the event...... they were there first and Formost for the kids.. they werent there for what was in it for them in return for their participation.
This self serving attitude of some of these So Called Celeb's and Pro's I guess just really bothers me.

As for the entire Preferential Permit's
Looks Like Coruption Is Still Alive And Doing Well In The State Of Illinois.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

..........We are yet to have a guest speaker chargeus for coming to the event, however some of the speakers have requested a turkey hunt in return.

In the past, we have been fortunate enough to have the DNR give us a tag under these circumstances.
So now we sit back and look for some funky definition of requested.

Fortunate? Maybe the guy who didn't draw a tag would like to be fortunate too,
Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 AM

the list of who got the permits is on the Post dispatch website, if your interested.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys...I was just trying to make a point as to how some of these tags may have been distributed. I agree it isn't fair, but that's part of life. Celebrities, Politicians, and Campaign Contributors will always get special treatment and you know as damn well as Ido this will never stop.I don't always agree with it, but that is just the way life is.

Also, I said the average hunter doesn't bring in thousands of dollars FOR CHARITYEVENTS. I agree with you that there are outdoorsmen that go above and beyond the call of duty, but most don't.

DogP - It sounds like you are the All-American guy that does no wrong and could turn a piece of coal into a diamond. I applaud you for what you do. However, every fundraiser is different, the one we operate has always had a guest speaker and it brings in a ton of money for kids. That's just the way it is.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, as a landowner who contributes to the state of Illinois by preserving the the equivalent of tens of thousands of dollars worth of prime turkey habitat, i think that i richly deserve a little special treatment too. So, I hereby issue myself a 2007 turkey hunting tag. I'm also issuing one to Uncle Matt since i know that he is equally charitable in turkey habitat maintenance
Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the IDNR report.

http://www.auditor.illinois.gov/Audit-Reports/Compliance-Agency-List/DNR/FY06-DNR-Fin-Comp-full.pdf

Check out pages 21, 22, 23 - even the DNR sez the amounts are excessive, mostly incomplete applications were made and many were not paid for or accounted for.

Typical.

Although the report's FINDING starts out calling the issuance of permits as excessive, in their response, no where do they imply the excessiveness will be addressed -only that all the "i's" need to be dotted and "t's" need to be crossed.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lanse the one tag is certainly nice and appreciated. But I need 12 - OK?

I don't have to fill out anything or pay for them do I? I am a friend of Sam Flood's cousin's neighbor's pastor's uncle's bass?

Good enough?

Thanks in advance. The case of scotch has been sent out. Look for theDHL truck soon!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the list of people who have recieved the hand outs. Unfortuantely it doesn't indicate what position thay are inor for what reason.

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/dnr_list.pdf
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

More intresting news............

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/472CD8666B3B2402862572BB000F3D9E?OpenDocument

But why do Illinois State officials who should know and go thru the regular application process sneak in?

Like.........

Rep. Mike Bost, R- Murphysboro
Rep. Brandon Phelps, D - Norris City

Quick Reply: IL DNR gave permits to politically connected hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.