Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 My Wisconsin hare hunt (story & pics) >

My Wisconsin hare hunt (story & pics)

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

My Wisconsin hare hunt (story & pics)

Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Wisconsin hare hunt (story & pics)

We had a blast in Upper Wisconsin last week. We only hunted 3 days, for a total of 9-10 hrs. due to the weather, but we shot 2 dozen hare and had the time of our lives. The 1st day was windy and dry, making it "difficult" for the dogs, but we still managed to shoot 6 out of about 12 we jumped. The 2nd day, we shot 6 for 6 in an hour and a half but called it quits after the last one b/c of torrential downpours. The 3rd day, we hunted about 4 hrs. and shot 12 for 12 w/ picture perfect hunting conditions - wet ground and no wind.

A couple hare were all white, but most had started their color change and were 1/2 white 1/2 tan. It took me 3-4 hrs. to get used to their running patterns, speed, and likes/dislikes, but after that, it was all she wrote. I had an absolute blast and am looking forward to going back this fall and again this time next year. Oh boy, do hare taste good too, we had them for dinner two nights in a row :cheesy:

My Branko FC caught a hare, it was the only one we took w/o shooting The dogs were pounding this hare for about 25 min. and the buck hare came by me about 35 yards out w/ the dogs 20 yds. behind him, but the conifers were just too thick to get a shot. Buddy of mine who was hunting 60-70 yds. away said the same thing. The hare hit a 20 yd. wide semi-open cutover/field and Bo took advantage of it. All I heard was a squeal and then my buddy calling out, Bo got him, Bo caught him. Apparently he caught the hare just as it was heading back into the conifers and shook him a couple times, breaking his neck, then turned, saw my buddy and brought the hare over to him. I was shocked. He's now caught 3 cottontail and 1 hare just this past year. I only saw 1 other cottontail caught this year by another male dog I own.

Sorry for writing a book, now that I've bored everyone, here are some pics of my WI hare hunt, hope you enjoy! Some shots were in pretty gnarly cover, but most we were kneeling so we could shoot under the browse line in the conifers and alders. Extremely beautiful country up there, and no doubt, the sweetest running I've EVER experienced. Can't wait to go back!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 AM

Default RE: My Wisconsin hare hunt (story & pics)

good pics i'm just waiting for turkey season
Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Great pictures!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

neat pics man keep us occupied till turkey season its killin me
Old 04-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a good hunt, hopefully it wont be your last.

Jackrabbit hunting was on the agenda of the The Natural Resources Board Spring Conservation Hearings.

On other proposed rule changes, voters approved: ... Eliminating jackrabbit hunting and listing jackrabbits as a species of concern, 2,119-990.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=594123

The Wisconsin Natural Resources Board (NR Board) sets policy for the Department of Natural Resources.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Great pic's! Love them dogs!Thanks for sharing
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kabic

Looks like a good hunt, hopefully it wont be your last.

Jackrabbit hunting was on the agenda of the The Natural Resources Board Spring Conservation Hearings.

On other proposed rule changes, voters approved: ... Eliminating jackrabbit hunting and listing jackrabbits as a species of concern, 2,119-990.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=594123

The Wisconsin Natural Resources Board (NR Board) sets policy for the Department of Natural Resources.
Jackrabbits are different than snowshoe hare though. There's a separate season for them. Never hunted jackrabbit before, but I've heard they can really smoke and run WAAAY out there!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Your right, my mistake. I got them mixed up.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

where in wisconsin did you hunt? i've hunted hares near neilsville and in chequamegon nationl forest..it sure is a lot of fun!!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hunted in Northern WI -a few hrs. north of Eau Claire, and about 2 hrs. south of Canada. Had a blast, can't wait to go back later this year.