Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Amish

Old 03-25-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Amish

I have hunted SE MN on public land w/no luck due to over pressure 5/6 hunters on 250 acres at one time. This year I am hunting a Archery only WMA & have been advised to check with some of the Amish farmers in the area by a state DNR warden. This sounds stupid but do you approach them just like anyone else I assume?

Apparently the opportunities to take a turkey there may not be so good...
Old 03-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Amish

I've met several Amish folks over the years. They're just like everybody else. Just people.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Just like any other people and don't talk done to them because their believes are different.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

most of them are smarter business men than any of us here, and mostr are really nice guys to.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live around Amish when I still lived in Indiana and I do know some do hunt. The ones I have had chance to talk to talked to me like anyone else would minus the cursing . I am not sure if they will allow hunting but most they can do is say no.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 AM

The Amish people are generally very friendly people. They're very polite, sometimes soft spoken, but good people. We used to hunt a farm that was adjacent to an old amish man's farm. Many of themin my area are just as avid hunters as we are. The family that was near us had everyone big enough to hold a rifle out in the woods for gun season!

As for getting permission to hunt their land, I would focus on the feeding your family portion of hunting Family is uber-important to them so maybe if you play the right card you can strike some luck. Good Luck!