Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Amish

Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Spike

Default The Amish

In my little area of southwest pa, the Amish are quite proflific here. They also own a great majority of the farmland. Anyone have any experience asking The Amish for permission to hunt their lands? I have made some attempts at building some relationships but alwayswimp out when it comes down to the money question. For some odd reason I find them to be a very imtimidating bunch..sideburns and all!

Anyone ever make an attempt at this?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Amish

The amish don't believe in electricity or permission.. just hunt.

(oh come on.. an amish joke.. really?)
Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up with amish neighbors and never had a problem hunting their land. I know of a Mennonite family that has sweet land but wont post it due to religious reasons (atleast thats what i was told as to why the wont post it, not sure if its true). Ask away, the worst they can say is "no".
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

The amish that I hunt around are notorious for killing deer out of season. At least we think it is them. We've found multiple carcasses near the line of their property. I think they get pissed off when the deer are in their crops. They always have been great about letting us hunt their property though.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bmb2759

In my little area of southwest pa, the Amish are quite proflific here. They also own a great majority of the farmland. Anyone have any experience asking The Amish for permission to hunt their lands? I have made some attempts at building some relationships but alwayswimp out when it comes down to the money question. For some odd reason I find them to be a very imtimidating bunch..sideburns and all!

Anyone ever make an attempt at this?

Yeah...... you have to give them gifts of gold, frankensence, and mehr
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

My friend hunts amish land in southern Illinois.He hauls grain in exchange for rights to hunt on his land.He has shot huge deer there the only problem is you cant hunt sundays and after the amish are done driving deer and shooting everything that moves the deer are scarce.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I think they get pissed off when the deer are in their crops
Isnt that called depredation ? and isnt it legal ?

Its legal here in NJ. Roughly 20years ago NJ adopted depredation. In fact, if you have crop on your property that nets $500 or more in profit, you qualify for a depredation or "black tag" permit, as long as your shooters posess a NJ Firearms Purchasers Identification Card. A F&W officer will come and inspect your property to deem it safe or unsafe to perform depredation.

Back to the subject.....why not just ask ?

You know them, they know you !! Im sure they dont want deer eating all of their crop...So, you need to munipulate the conversation, subconciously. Engage the farmer in conversation and before you "pop the question", lead the conversation in a direction that will make it as if YOU are doing HIM a favor by TELLING him that you will come hunt the deer. Say, hey Amish farmer man, give me a realistic number of deer that you would like taken out during the year.

Do not start by mentioning QDM. Do NOT offer money until someone asks.

Good luck on your endevor. If you wont ask, Ill come ask for you
It might be legal, but they are still notorious for it. It doesn't help the hunting at all. They could be killing the booner of the year for all I know. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they do it and are maybe allowed to do it, it just kind of sucks from our perspective.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get some balls and just askthem. They're usually pretty fair from what I have heard. Like someone already said, the worst they can do is say no. Then you'll justhave to trespass. JK
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

yEAH...i HAD TO GIVE UP MY BEST OSAGE STICK AND FLINT WITH SINEW WRAPPED CEDAR...

KIDDING..I NEVER ASKED....BUT THEY ARE HEAVY IN UBLY MICHIGAN WHERE I HUNT IN THE THUMB....

SOMEDAYS I WISHED I WAS AMISH....I THINK I WOULD BE MORE AT PEACE AND LESS STRESSED....IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO BE HAPPY....ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD WILL NOT REPLACE HEALTH AND PEACE OF MIND....I LOVE IT WHEN I SEE THEM AT CABELAS BUYING 3 BLADE EXPANDABLES.....

Quick Reply: The Amish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.