Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Western Ohio

Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Western Ohio

This upcoming fall I will most likely be going to college at Miami University (OH). I know that in every state there are hot spots and unfortunately I am very unfamilliar with Ohio. So basically is anyone familiar with the area 30 mins to an hour north of Cincinnatti, more specifically the Hueston Woods State Park, if so hows the archery hunting.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Western Ohio

well, i moved to Ohio 2 years ago now and if there are any hotspots nobody is willing to share them with me. luckily i have a brother in lawwho has a father in law who has 30 acers of farm land in lorane county that he lets me hunt other than that i would be in the state forest . I saw your post and saw there were no replies .... i just wanted to tell you dont expect any frendly ohioans. havent found any yet , wish you were going to a college closer to cleveland. good luck to you sir, hope you find a place to hunt.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

4patches, perhaps the real problem lies within. There are plenty of firendly Ohians who would help, but these regional boards aren't viewed quite as much so it takes more time.

Anyway, Hueston Woods is OK but certainly not what I would consider a "hot spot". If you just want to hunt does and 1.5-2.5 year old bucks it is fine. If you want to hunt old mature bucks, then you are going to have to do some driving. There are some huge public lands in southern and SE Ohio that are good if you are willing and able to get to the spots that others don't go. Now, there are good bucks killed every year at Hueston Woods, I am just saying the odds are less. No reason not to go there though since it is close. Also check with farmers around Miami and see if you can trade some labor for hunting rights. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its a little further north, but you might check with Dayton Metroparks for next year. They control hundreds (if not thousands) of semi-rural park land throughout the greater Dayton area. This past Fall they were letting people apply for special bow hunting permits to help thin the deer herds in these areas.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Typical Buck

i just wanted to tell you dont expect any frendly ohioans. havent found any yet
Excuse me? I suspect the problem is you. Most folks tend to treat people how they deserve to be treated. You do realize that the borders go both ways, don't you?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

now i wasnt saying there wasnt any friendly ohioans at all, i was just stating that i havent come across any. all sporting goods stores that i have been to, all the local fishing spots, the local coffee spots, all except for this board. in person i havent meet any one here who is willing to share a spot to hunt, for fear of loosing it to an outsider. each of the times i asked, my son was with me and he has a apprentice licence, so there would be only one weapon between the two of us... his. so quite honestly he was more dissapointed than i was. so, as for the borders thing explain it to a 9 year old. really cant expect the 7th most dangerous city ( cleveland )in the nation to be frendly, can i ?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

really cant expect the 7th most dangerous city ( cleveland )in the nation to be frendly, can i
Okay, you got me there.
There are plenty of places to hunt. You've just got to knock on the right doors. Most people are hunting small chunks of land. Should you expect everyone to just invite you to hunt there as well, when there's a good chance it's already a bit crowded? It's not often that the perfect hunting spot just falls in your lap. You haveto work for it. It's frustrating, but it sounds like you do have one place to hunt. There's a a lot of people up that way that hunt strictly public ground. As you meet more people, there's a good chance you'll find someone who owns some ground you can hunt.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Ask farmers in the area. There are a lot of farms in ohio(at least where i live)and many farmers find deer a nuisance because how they eat the crops.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Spike

lots of good public hunting land in athens county
Old 02-18-2007, 05:25 PM

I have lived in Ohio for about 30 years. Many times the rural people do not open up to outsiders quickly. It can be very difficult to find places to hunt private land for varying reasons.
Personally,I prefer hunting in the eastern part of the state. Here in the northwest, thereare very few landmarks to funnel deer activity. It makes hunting in my area very difficult, even if you canfind private land to hunt. Good luck. Jamie

Quick Reply: Western Ohio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.