Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 I seek info for NW sec. of Kansas..... >

I seek info for NW sec. of Kansas.....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

I seek info for NW sec. of Kansas.....

Old 01-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Spike

Default I seek info for NW sec. of Kansas.....

I have a chance to do a hunt there in 2007 for whitetail.... Is the license for bow and muzz. a draw? When is the best (right) time to get out there for both muzz. and bow...? any other info would be great.... I checked out the KS web site and found some confusing info on it........

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I seek info for NW sec. of Kansas.....

KS. has a license drawing system that N.R. have to go through, although there are transfer tags that resident landowners can get and then they sell them to Non-residents, with price ranges from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.
I.M.O. the best time is early Nov. for archery, and I think muzzleloader is an early season, in Sept. I beleive!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Spike

Thanks Howler......

Old 01-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

They actually had a surplus of tags in some areas this past year too, but I wouldn't count on that every year. Where exactly (nearby town) are you going?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Spike

Smith Center........
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

erock48111

I live in Southwest Kansas. All non-residents draw for a permit. As Howler mentioned. Resident landowners also apply in this draw. They are allowed a certain percentage of the non-resident tags. They can do as they choose with them. Again Howler is right price will go from several hundred to as high as $5,000 that I have seen them go for. They can include the place to hunt or just the tag. Depends on the landowner.

I have 25,000 private acres to hunt (owned by a friend) he allows us and people I take to hunt. So I take some nice whitetails over the past 25 years.

Muzzleloader tags are for either species. Mule Deer or Whitetail. That is the only way a non-resident can take a Mule Deer in Kansas on a muzzy tag. Muzzy season is actually two seasons if you will. They have a early muzzy tag season in Sept. if a person tags out obvioulsy the hunt is over. If you fail to tag you can then use the muzzy tag again during the regular rifle season in late Nov. early Dec. I hunt with a muzzy anytime I can draw. To be honest I pass on the early season most years. The last few years were hot and crops are still standing. Big bucks have no reason to leave in the early season from the crop fields. Food, water and no rut. So they stay and eat and get fat.

That is not to say they aren't around but being early to hunt isn't always the best solution. But as I live here I can always go out after work and see if anything is moving. Once the crops are cut and it gets cooler then bucks start to move.

There were lots of tags leftover and lots of hunters this year. But that hasn't been the norm in years past.

I know the area around Smith Center very well. Get on the right place and you should do very well. Wrong place and well everybody knows the story there.

If you have any more questions I am glad to help.

Goatslayer....
Old 01-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Spike

Many thanks for the Info, Goat..!

Yeah, I need to call the landowner to get some more details on if they will supply the "landowner" tags.... I waiting on some info from the Kansas DNR and from the landowner... I assume it will be the same publications...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM

What the guys have said about KS tag systems is true but however the KS legislature is making amends to the whole season and license system. I wouldnt plan on it being the same as last year....I'm not sure when the changes will take in affect but it will be either this year or next year. They are tossing around the idea of having one tag for all seasons but once you tag out your done. They are also probably doing away with landowner transferable tags. Season dates are supposed to be tweeked too. The KDWP talked about having muzzleloader run into bow season for a week or two.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

KSbowman,

How right you are on that. Looks like things are going to change. I myself hope they don't go with the one tag for all seasons. Of the people I talk to here in Kansas most hunters want it just like it is now. But that's just the people I talk to. I really don't know what to think on the landowner tags. I feel farmers/ranchers are entitled to a price for hunting deer on their land. However to see tags go for $5,000 has got many of my hunting friends with no place to hunt.

Don't get me wrong Kansas has some good public areas to hunt. But just like any statethat ismostly private the best hunting is going to be on private ground. With $5,000 dollar tags going around most people are now going to take the money and run. Can't blame them forthat.Don't like it but can't blame them for it.

Thank God my friend that owns 25,000 private acres cares more about friendships than money. I have hunted his place for 25 years and taken many fine whitetail.

Goatslayer.....