Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 wolves in WI starting to be a problem >

wolves in WI starting to be a problem

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

wolves in WI starting to be a problem

Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default wolves in WI starting to be a problem

Think of it this way this summer in canada a runner from a coal minewas attack after work going back to his camp, loggers in northern wi have encountered wolves but got away before anything could happen.
As more wolves enter and are born in WI they will split up into new packs destroying deer population-yes i know that they only attack the weakest ones but what if they are fawns in the spring time. There would be no more fawns which means no deer in that area. Also they push out the coyotes. I actually hunt almost everywhere in WI or talk to people who do and they are having the same thing happening, the south are seeing more coyotes and less in the north.
that is because the wolves are bigger than the coyotes and the yotes are bigger than fox so they will start moving south or into cities. this could be a big problem for everyone if coyotes start moving into cities to escape the wolves. if a hungry yote is in the area of young children where do you think its easiest meal is?
if we dont start taking wolves or managing them better i will predict next year we will have a human killed by wolves or coyotes. they are a nuisance for hound hunters because its like a dinner bell for them. I am surpised that there hasnt been any deaths in montana yet, but i know its coming and when your walking in a big swamp early morning or late nights deer hunting in wolf country you try to forget about all of that.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 AM

Default RE: wolves in WI starting to be a problem

Wolves are hugely misunderstood. Most of the ideas people have about wolves are old school and are false. Wolves, in fact, will not "destroy" the population of deer in WI. People need to get the facts and be educated about wolves before making any shoot from the hip judgements.

This same topic is being pounded in the bowhunting forum.....
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1863647
Old 12-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

From what ive gathered from woodland owner's conferences, wolves are a problem not because they will cause huge damages to the herd as a whole, but because they move into an area, take out as many deer as they can, and move on when there is no more food (deer) in the area. IMO, the wolves are a problem, and i'd bet my hunting rights that more than 9 got shot this season.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to northern MI's problem.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Sorry boys, I don't buy it.

I hunt in an area with a large wolf population and I can tell you that the wives tales you hear about wolves are false.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:21 AM

I live in Michigan's U.P and this year we had 3 or 4 cases where hunters have shot wolves. 2 or 3 are being charged. I Hunt Michigan and Ontario Canada (Which you can hunt wolves with a small game license) and both places have wolf populations. If you see some of the bucks they pull out of Canada you would think the wolves were vegetarians. More deer are killed by vehicles in Michigan then wolves. I aggree with Dan there is a lot of non factual info ou there on wolves. Now don't get me wrong I'm not a wolf lover, but they are not the only factorin deer populations where I live. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Wolves have lowered deer populations in many areas of northern Wisconsin. Deer are more densily congregated around towns, lake properties, and private properties where wolves tend to avoid.

The Wisconsin wolf population has leveled off some what and is not increaseing like it was. Domestic dog diseases like mange, and territory saturation, has resulted in most wolves dieing or being killed before they can form new packs.

With 4,000 wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, there is no need for them to be on the endangered list, or lumped into the same catagory as wolves in the western states. The midwest could regulate its own wolf populations if the Federal government would let it. JMHO
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Spike

Bear hunters have beenupset for yearsabout the numerous wolves. They stick a lot of time, effort and money into their dogs only to lose them to wolves. I knowthe dogs are "invading" the wolves territoryand even though I don't hunt over hounds, I don't blame them for being mad.

Also, the elk herd near Clam Lake loses several elk each year to wolves. I'm too lazy to look up the exact number, but with the elk herd barely over 100 animals any loss hurts. Car accidents have taken a toll on the elk, too, as they have been hit going to feeders or simply cruising the area. The DNRstronglyurged people to stop using feeders. So I can't believe they're thrilled about losing elk to wolves either, but they may feel their hands are tied there.

The wolf population in WI is already a big controversy. As the population increases over the next decade,the problem will need to be addressed somehow. And I certainly believe it is a problem!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

i will predict next year we will have a human killed by wolves or coyotes.
Coyotes are going to kill a human??????
Old 12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont Belive anything people say about wolves not being a problem! Where I hunt in Idaho this is a statistic from inside the Fish and game. In the salmon area Calf Elk survival was 3% so 97% didnt make it this was because of weather, and wolves,and Mainly wolves. little aircraft fly over the salmon river valley all day and in one day over a 5 square mile area 50 diffrentwolves where spotted in a 6 hour period. Now thats a problem!

And this last winter 15 known cases of bear deaths where by wolves during there hybernation period the wolves got hem out of there dens and would eat them while they where still alive. but unable to function.

Belive what you want to belive butwhen I hunt out there and I see wolves going after Deer, bear, or elk you bet your (rear end) its going to die.

Quick Reply: wolves in WI starting to be a problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.