Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 End of Wi hunting season >

End of Wi hunting season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

End of Wi hunting season

Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default End of Wi hunting season

Well the end of Wis. gun season has officailly arrived. After 3 long rigerous weeks of walking, sitting, and stalking in hi winds and sub freezing temps its all over. During the regular 9 day gun season there was an estimated 336,000 + deer harvested, up 7% from last year, so the DNR says. I have spoken to and have read that many hunters as well as members from the WDNR board that have said this years hunt was a flop. Some members had 8-15 some groups even had 20-25 members in their parties, that said they never saw a deer to shoot at. These results came in from different parts of the state. With the passing of the regular gun season, there is the10 day muzzleloader hunt. With the high winds the entire10 days it was difficult to see any deer at all unless you were making some sort of drive. I as well as many friends came up empty for the first time in many years during muzzle loader season. This was my first year muzzle loader hunting. Last Thursday started the herd reduction hunt. I was supprised of the amount of shooting I heard dung the 4 day hunt. But disapointed in the sizes of antlerless deer harvested. So many were very very small. I myself ended up taking a small antlerless deer on Saturday. Out of our group of 7, there were only 3 deer taken off our property of 260 acres during the regular gun season, 0 muzzle loader and 1 during the herd reduction hunt. This kill being waydown than previous years. Most of us harvest at least 2-3 deer each. My father-in-law told me the last day of the regular gun season that this is the worst year he has ever seen in the 40+ plus years he has hunted. And the first year in over 40 years that no one in our party has ever taken a legal buck during the gun season(s). Id like to see where the dnr is getting their numbers and where the next eradication area is going to pop up. Theres been rumors going around already thet they the DNR will call back the Oct. Antlerless gun hunt next year, thuskeeping bow hunters from enjoying prime rutperiods. Then they will have the regular 9 gun season, then muzzle loader, then another herd reduction hunt. Personally im not fond of the October hunt as I am a bow hunter, I think the way the seasons were setup this year was perfect. Sure there was the youth hunt in October but didnt seem to effect much in my area. With the low antlered buck kill this year, I am hoping we will have some very nice bucks harvested next season. Only time will tell.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 PM

Default RE: End of Wi hunting season

I agree, I think we can do without the October Hunt. Especaillysince I justfound a secret spot that will be killer for bow hunting!

Anyways, I'm not familiar with your area, wis bow hunter, but I know that the kill was low in my area. I hardly saw any trucks with deer in the back doing the usual drive around show-off. I pesonally only saw 5 deer this season (total- all seasons to date) and one of them I saw twice (the small buck I killed Thanksgiving day). I also would like to know where the hell the DNR gets their numbers from. The past few seasonshave just been jokes.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

Delete. link won't work
Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Spike

Someone started a thread a while back asking if theirWI season was a flop. I was surprised at the number of people who said it was; yet, as pointed out the season was quite successful compared to other seasons. Personally, it wasmy worst bow/gun season in 25 years.[:-]
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM

I chimed in on that post too. This raises the question, How/Where does the DNR come up with their numbers? If they're actually right, great, if not then WTF, why lie to us. I remeber reading about how they ESTIMATED deer numbers in the state, and I just laughed. I wish I remember the site name... oh well. If deer numbers are going up, thats awesome; if people are killing more deer, even better - good for them. But everyone I talk to, here and in person, says the gun season sucked.

I have heard from many others however that the EarlyBow Season was pretty decent. I didn't get a whole lot for bow so I dunno for sure though. What do you guys think (besides gunsnbowses who has kindly answered already)? Bow season a bust this year or not too bad?

ORIGINAL: gunsnbowses

Someone started a thread a while back asking if theirWI season was a flop. I was surprised at the number of people who said it was; yet, as pointed out the season was quite successful compared to other seasons. Personally, it wasmy worst bow/gun season in 25 years.[:-]
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Our season too was a flop, but on the bright side we should have many large bucks runnin around next year. this year we had at least 4 different 8's, 2 10's, and a real monster roamin our property and none of em fell to our guns this season. thats not to say someone else didnt get em, but with that many bucks theres a good chance at least some of em made it. Im anxious to see what kind of free time i'll have next fall because im gonna be a freshman in college and will be a half hr closer to my hunting spot, and hopefully i'll get some weekends of serious hunting in.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:25 PM

Doing the hunting and school thing is hard. Thats why I only got a handful of times for Bow Season. Lucky me our fall break just happens to be the same week as the 9 day gun-deer season, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in the woods much at all!

ORIGINAL: Schobs

Our season too was a flop, but on the bright side we should have many large bucks runnin around next year. this year we had at least 4 different 8's, 2 10's, and a real monster roamin our property and none of em fell to our guns this season. thats not to say someone else didnt get em, but with that many bucks theres a good chance at least some of em made it. Im anxious to see what kind of free time i'll have next fall because im gonna be a freshman in college and will be a half hr closer to my hunting spot, and hopefully i'll get some weekends of serious hunting in.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

I can't find the gun kill records for 2004 or 2005, but the 2006 season ranks 9th out of 39 seasons. From 1966 - 2003 plus 2006.

2000- 528,494
1999- 402,179
1995- 398,002
1996- 388,791
2003- 388,344
2001- 361,264
1991- 352,520
1990- 350,040
2006- 336,000+

9th out of 39 seasons isn't a flop. 1993 was a flop, it was the worst season since 1983 (10 years). 1983, incidentally, was a flop for me.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

sometimes i wonder if the DNR isfabricating thosenumbers to keep the license sales up, i havent talked to anybody who has had a decent season. so either im hangin out w/ a bunch of unlucky hunters, or the guys that are slayin em aren't talkin. either way, its not gonna keep me outta the woods next year, even if the DNR said 100,000 deer were killed i'd still be out as often as possible.

burbaust, im not expecting to get out alot when im in school either, im just tryin to be optimistic. but on another note, for you and anyone else who hunted while in college... where did you keep your equipment, (gun, bow, stands, etc)? on campus doesnt sound realistic/legal, and me and my buddy were thinkin of goin in on a small storage space for stuff like this.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 PM

I live with my Grandparents off campus, so I can store all my stuff here at home (closer to where I hunt). There are some campuses that have gun lockups on campus. I know UW-Superior does as well as a couple of others up north. A small storage shed may not be a bad idea, maybe impractical/not cost effectivefor the entire year though. I don't know if this is possible for you at all, but I had a friend who hunted up north several years ago, who payed a bar-owner like $20 for the enitre deer season to keep some of our junk at a storage shed he had behind the bar.

ORIGINAL: Schobs

sometimes i wonder if the DNR isfabricating thosenumbers to keep the license sales up, i havent talked to anybody who has had a decent season. so either im hangin out w/ a bunch of unlucky hunters, or the guys that are slayin em aren't talkin. either way, its not gonna keep me outta the woods next year, even if the DNR said 100,000 deer were killed i'd still be out as often as possible.

burbaust, im not expecting to get out alot when im in school either, im just tryin to be optimistic. but on another note, for you and anyone else who hunted while in college... where did you keep your equipment, (gun, bow, stands, etc)? on campus doesnt sound realistic/legal, and me and my buddy were thinkin of goin in on a small storage space for stuff like this.

Quick Reply: End of Wi hunting season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.