HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - End of Wi hunting season
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 AM
wis_bow_huntr
Giant Nontypical

Default End of Wi hunting season

Well the end of Wis. gun season has officailly arrived. After 3 long rigerous weeks of walking, sitting, and stalking in hi winds and sub freezing temps its all over. During the regular 9 day gun season there was an estimated 336,000 + deer harvested, up 7% from last year, so the DNR says. I have spoken to and have read that many hunters as well as members from the WDNR board that have said this years hunt was a flop. Some members had 8-15 some groups even had 20-25 members in their parties, that said they never saw a deer to shoot at. These results came in from different parts of the state. With the passing of the regular gun season, there is the10 day muzzleloader hunt. With the high winds the entire10 days it was difficult to see any deer at all unless you were making some sort of drive. I as well as many friends came up empty for the first time in many years during muzzle loader season. This was my first year muzzle loader hunting. Last Thursday started the herd reduction hunt. I was supprised of the amount of shooting I heard dung the 4 day hunt. But disapointed in the sizes of antlerless deer harvested. So many were very very small. I myself ended up taking a small antlerless deer on Saturday. Out of our group of 7, there were only 3 deer taken off our property of 260 acres during the regular gun season, 0 muzzle loader and 1 during the herd reduction hunt. This kill being waydown than previous years. Most of us harvest at least 2-3 deer each. My father-in-law told me the last day of the regular gun season that this is the worst year he has ever seen in the 40+ plus years he has hunted. And the first year in over 40 years that no one in our party has ever taken a legal buck during the gun season(s). Id like to see where the dnr is getting their numbers and where the next eradication area is going to pop up. Theres been rumors going around already thet they the DNR will call back the Oct. Antlerless gun hunt next year, thuskeeping bow hunters from enjoying prime rutperiods. Then they will have the regular 9 gun season, then muzzle loader, then another herd reduction hunt. Personally im not fond of the October hunt as I am a bow hunter, I think the way the seasons were setup this year was perfect. Sure there was the youth hunt in October but didnt seem to effect much in my area. With the low antlered buck kill this year, I am hoping we will have some very nice bucks harvested next season. Only time will tell.