Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 End of Wi hunting season >

End of Wi hunting season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

End of Wi hunting season

Old 12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: End of Wi hunting season

thanks burbaust99, you're right, it probably isnt practical to keep it there all year long, but from september to january i'd like to have access to my bow and rifle in case i find i have a weekend off and wanna go try my luck with the elusive whitetails. I'll be going to UW stevens point, which is basically in the middle of the state, but they might have somethin available. also, the campus is very near a bunch of state/county land that im pretty sure is open to hunting, so i hope to be able to get out on there sometimes too.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Spike

Hey, Schobs! I live in St. Point. You're right. There isa fair amount of public land around the area. The Mead is very popular. Thereare also some forestry units east of Mosinee that are open to hunting. They add up to several thousand acres.Obviously, there is a fair amount of hunting pressure, but it's a start if you're new to the area.

There have been some comments about the integrity of our DNR and their deer population analysis. I briefly scanned my latest copy of Wisconsin Outdoor News and the independant group hired to review our DNR's SAK system stated it may be the best deer population counting system in the whole U.S.Somehow I figured that would be their response! And up until this year, I wouldn't argue. After this terrible yearof huntingup nort' and the farm country of central WI, I don't know what to think![&:]
Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM

Good research on that. I don't think there are many of us that do know what to think about their systems. I'd like to believe it all - that would be great for all hunters alike - but like you said, it's sure hard to believe it this year; when there are groups of a dozen or more hunters goin out for a week at a time and not seeingbut 5 deer amongst them; it really makes me wonder.

ORIGINAL: gunsnbowses

Hey, Schobs! I live in St. Point. You're right. There isa fair amount of public land around the area. The Mead is very popular. Thereare also some forestry units east of Mosinee that are open to hunting. They add up to several thousand acres.Obviously, there is a fair amount of hunting pressure, but it's a start if you're new to the area.

There have been some comments about the integrity of our DNR and their deer population analysis. I briefly scanned my latest copy of Wisconsin Outdoor News and the independant group hired to review our DNR's SAK system stated it may be the best deer population counting system in the whole U.S.Somehow I figured that would be their response! And up until this year, I wouldn't argue. After this terrible yearof huntingup nort' and the farm country of central WI, I don't know what to think![&:]
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Well my group had tremendous success the first 2 days of the gun season. Every person in my group (10) all saw deer opening day. The least amount seen was 3, and the most was about 25-35. We shot 3 bucks during the first 2 days, one being a 110'' 6 pt, another being a 134'' 9 pt, and I shot a giant 12 pt scoring 162'' gross. But after the first two days things really slowed down and almost nonbody saw any deer that entire week.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:07 AM

well, congrads to you! post a picture or two your buck. I'd love to see it. Where about WI are you from and where do you hunt. I'm glad that there are people still having a fair amount of success. I mean, my season wasn't real bad for the number of days I was able to get out - but it wasn't awesome either.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first 2 days i saw 4 deer, all small bucks.I jumped a few on day 5 but couldnt tell from the tail what they were.I think the heard is way down,but the hot weather had alot to do with it.I saw alot of bucks bow hunting the early rut.We got 9 all year between 3 of us but we had to hunt hard for them.Only 2 durring gun seasion.I think it was the weather
Old 12-14-2006, 07:23 AM

I think the weather has had a lot to do with it. By me, we only had a day or two of decent hunting weather (colder temps, overcast, etc.) otherwise it was warm and sunny. I don't know how the weather was during the hunt in other parts of the state though.

ORIGINAL: furgitter

The first 2 days i saw 4 deer, all small bucks.I jumped a few on day 5 but couldnt tell from the tail what they were.I think the heard is way down,but the hot weather had alot to do with it.I saw alot of bucks bow hunting the early rut.We got 9 all year between 3 of us but we had to hunt hard for them.Only 2 durring gun seasion.I think it was the weather
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 AM

Though I wasn't in WI during the gun season, I believe some peoples lack of deer sightings had to do with the rut being late this year. I believe the deer were on lockdown the first few days of the season because of the rut and then were on lockdown because of the numbers of people in the woods.

Just my theory.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

It wasnt that the rut was late cause it wasnt....it was short, very short. I saw very little rutting activity through out the entire bow season. And I hunted every single day except 3 of the days when it rained. Also sat every day during the gun season and hunted every day muzzle loader and herd reduction.....what a flop.

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Though I wasn't in WI during the gun season, I believe some peoples lack of deer sightings had to do with the rut being late this year. I believe the deer were on lockdown the first few days of the season because of the rut and then were on lockdown because of the numbers of people in the woods.

Just my theory.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 AM

I have hunted deer since the late 70's and the DNR would have you think there are deer behind every tree, can you say tourist $$$$$$$ Millions.

The deer numbers they throw around are bogus I have said that for years. Out of 10 of us we got 2 deer a little doe and a non typical 6 pointer. My brother hunts private land near Hayward food plots the works and out of 8 guys they saw 1 deer all week and got skunked? If you hunt way up north the deer are very dispursed and the 2 deer we shot were on drives they sure weren't moving at all.I hunt near Dodgville some nice bucks at the registration station but overall very down year.

You watch now the DNR will push for Earn a Buck next year saying the doe kill was bad, that is another farce. We are tinkering with Mother Nature let her moderate the excess population if there is one?

Quick Reply: End of Wi hunting season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.