HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Indiana Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/157510-indiana-hunters.html)

Pat Curtis 10-11-2006 03:23 AM

RE: Indiana Hunters

Fri/Sat/Sun are looking great as far as the weather goes. Hope you guys see some big deer..b/c most likely I'll be stuck moving the in-laws into their new place. [>:]

Buck Huntin Girl 10-11-2006 06:45 AM

I hope we see some biggun's too... Heck, I don't even CARE *what* see, so long as I see something....

Good luck, maybe you will get done early so you can hunt!

KBacon 10-11-2006 08:03 AM

Yep.. I got vacation starting this weekend 10-13 through 10-18.. going to be hitting Orange county pretty hard.. near Patoka. Was planning on hunting Franklin county this morning.. but it was really warm and raining... and I'm not to fond of sitting in a treestand in 30mph winds. We'll see what it looks like for this eveningthough.

Went out last Wednesday and Sunday and didn't see a single deer (been really warm though)... but could have limited out on squirrels several times over. Can't wait till they start picking that corn!!!

Buck Huntin Girl 10-11-2006 10:29 AM

My farmer won't pick corn until almost rut time... double whammy!

I didn't see much the last couple times out either, just the one I missed the opportunity to shoot at and a few I kicked up walking to the stand. I figure if I were a deer in 75 degrees, I'd be laying down in the shade somewhere until it cooled down.

We have the winds and rain too... it's a bummer, but at least it brought colder temps with it.

tlutterba 10-11-2006 11:03 AM

Waiting on picking corn??? DANG!! farmers are almost done pickin beans down in southern indiana!! We are starting to get some very nice weather. Bucks are starting to respond to rattln and gruntn. Saw a very nice 12 pt. with a drop tine and kicker comin off of the drop tine. It is a very unique buck.... Had some bad luck when it comes to bucks though. I shot a very nice 8 pt. and let it die over night. Went in the next morning and some other hunter or someone had cut off its head leaving the body for the coyotes!! Talk about being pissed off!!! If i ever find the person, ill be in the newspaper!! haha

Pat Curtis 10-11-2006 01:38 PM

Damn, that reallysucks!

I mowed my yard Monday, today it is covered with leaves. With that said, I can't wait to see what these winds are doing to the trees up on our hunting land. Maybe I'll be able to see farther than 4' in a couple spots.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-11-2006 02:25 PM

I hear ya, Pat. If leaves woulda been down, that deer Sunday night woulda been dead.

They are picking beans here too, but they don't take the corn out til later... usually around Halloween.

monster10rackstack 10-11-2006 06:03 PM

a lot of the crops around me are coming off. I saw few deer during the warmer weather and the one i killed and a doe my friend at college shot both didnt have their winter coats yet just a few hairs so it will be interesting to see how they are come tomorrow and Friday

stack

Pat Curtis 10-11-2006 06:38 PM

Only corn is standing up where I hunt..which blows. When the corn is gone, a average day consists of several deer within bow range.

BTW, wifey is letting me hunt Friday IF the weather holds out. Errr..I shouldn't say "letting" though...because um..I'm the man..and I told her where to go...yeah...that's right....

monster10rackstack 10-11-2006 06:55 PM

haha you got my hope PAT

bnzartman 10-11-2006 07:16 PM

I've only been out a couple times. Its hard to get to excited about this early season hunting. I saw a couple opening morning. I dropped my freakin bow out of my tree Monday morning. Thankfully the only thing that broke was my arrow that was knocked. I start getting excited after Oct. 25. The days that surround Halloween are my favorite. I'm not going to ruin my spots in the early season.

KBacon 10-11-2006 08:33 PM

They are starting to pick the corn in some places now. It's earlier than normal.. and later than normal for the beans.

I did get out to Franklin county tonight... and jumped 3 does on the way to the stand.. those were the only deer I've seen all season.. while in the woods. We did get the chips out of our digicams though.. and have 10 different bucks on camera.. w/ 3 definate shooters.. And lots of does. The digicam showed that alot of the deer were nocturnal... I don't know if it's due to the heat or what.

Starting to get excited... but I don't go too overboard till late Oct to early Nov. I think I'm gonna take the whole week before firearms off again this year. Kinda sucked last year.. but it was aweful warm last year too.

monster10rackstack 10-11-2006 09:49 PM

i didnt get to excited early until i shot a 154 oct 15, 2004 we have a extra week before gun this year

Pat Curtis 10-12-2006 03:24 AM

That extra week this year is making me shy away from bucks so far..knowing in November..they will be everywhere.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-12-2006 05:42 AM

What do you mean we have an extra week before gun season? What did I miss or simply not know about? I thought our gun season seemed to be starting early this year... I'm confused, but then again, I haven't really read the reg's this year, all I know is Oct. 1st I can start shootin'! LOL

What is it that I don't know about this extra week?

js2397 10-12-2006 06:07 AM

Firearms season starts the first Saturday after the 11th. The earliest it can start is the 12th like last year. The latest it van start is the 18th like this year.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-12-2006 07:53 AM

Okay, I'm maybe a little too focused on bow hunting right now, LOL, so it is going to start ON the 11th or on the 18th? I guess I could look on the IDNR site and save you guys the typing.

Okay, I just looked it up... lol the 18th.

Well, happy for us bowhunters, but I was kinda hopin' it would be kinda early this year because my mom is hunting for the first time this year, and she is allergic to the cold... Yes, I'm serious, she literally is, she breaks out in hives all over her body and if she eats ice cream her tongue swells up and her lips and everything... she is on medication for it, and it helps a ton, but I am hoping for a couple decent high 40's low 50's days in gun season for her sake. I'm hoping to be tagged out by gun season so I can concentrate on making a good couple of hunts for her.

bigbuckOO 10-12-2006 01:23 PM

The extra week this year should make for some incredible bowhunting in mid novemeber without question. I was just out at the place where i hunt to check up on the fields, corns and beans up everywhere. Did the see landowner with his semi out so hopefully this weekend he gets started.

Pat Curtis 10-12-2006 04:47 PM

That "extra" week really helps bowhunters. We get to hunt while the peak rut is going on, where as recently the weekend warriors with their shotguns are out there shooting anything that moves.

monster10rackstack 10-13-2006 11:52 AM

How do i put it WIND WIND WIND

Pat Curtis 10-13-2006 06:01 PM

A buddy of mine left me a msg saying he was going out today around noon...I feel sorry for him.lol

The way it looks, I'll be hunting all day Sunday. :D Winds are really supposed to ease up..so hopefully I'll catch something moving after this front moves on out of here.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-14-2006 08:44 AM

Yeah, yeah... winds... story of my bowhunting life.

I got up this morning at 5:45, eventhough once again I had only had 4 hours of sleep.... winds were at, like 11, gusting over 15, so I laid in bed talking to hubby for 1/2 hour trying to decide if we wanted to go or not. With it being a 45 minute drive and us driving a gas guzzling Trailblazer, I hate going up there only to sit for an hour and get down. I knew I needed the sleep, hubby works 3rd, and Friday nights he gets off at 12:30am, so he usually sleeps a few hours, gets up and goes hunting, but he couldn't sleep... so after kicking it around, hubby says, I'll go check the weather, if the winds are 9 or under, we'll go.... nope. So back to bed we went and I just crawled out 15 minutes ago... I think I probably needed to regroup and get some extra sleep anyway, I've really been draggin' lately with not much sleep and that's just not good for the pregnancy.

Hopefully the winds will stay where there at now, 9mph and we will go tonight. I may be going alone though, his beloved Tigers are playing, and since he already has his buck... I don't know, we'll see.

Hope you all had some luck this morning.

Monie 10-15-2006 11:01 AM

I was hoping to go to Cass county yesterday evening, but my bow tech had to refinish his floor. [:@]Oh, well. We might go out today. We'll see. If we do, I have a good feeling about it. You guys ever get those? Like opening day and the day after, I had a really good feeling about both days, and the day my buddy shot his doe. ESP....lol

Parrot Head 10-16-2006 05:23 AM

Sat. a.m was so again saw 3 does. Sat evening was prety good. I saw 17, 6 bucks. At one point 11 of them were all in a group right in front of me I could hear them eating my alfalfa. Then right at dark 50 yards on top of the hill was a nice 10 pointer well out past his ear. I had to use my binos to see his rack. Sunday a.m. nothing. Sunday evening 24, 3 bucks. One was a hog of a either 8 or 10. Past his ears and great length just to far out. 44 for the week-end. IF the a.m. would pick up I would be a happy camper.

Primitive Weapon 10-16-2006 06:12 AM

Saturday night was the most exciting and disappointing day of bowhunting I've had yet. Right before 7pm, I had a nice 8pt buck walking right to me with 2 does. In the background I could hear an ATV but that didn't really seem to bother the deer. They were in some brush and came up to about 25yds.

At this point they were about to step out on the main trail and provide several open shooting oppurtunities. The ATV in the background, which was not on the property I lease but was VERY close, was much closer now and not only could I hear the ATV I could also hear the voices of the people riding. And you know if I could hear it, so could the deer. They were completely focused on the sound. Got a little nervous and retreated the same way they came in.

If they could have came out 60 seconds earlier or the ATV been 60 seconds further away I would have had a chance at my first bow kill being a good buck. Oh well.........

Hopefully, I'll get another chance but my lease ends Oct 23rd and we are not renewing it. I'll be an orphan bowhunter as of Oct 24th.

tlutterba 10-16-2006 10:44 AM

I went out on Sunday afternoon to see 13 deer. 8 of the which were bucks. I did see something very very encouraging. A buck chasin a doe!! It's just around the corner and with us bow hunters havin an extra week of season. This is going to bya good year for bow hunters!!!!

redneckhunter09 10-16-2006 04:32 PM

What part of Indiana do you guys/gals hunt? I'm in Pulaski County..unfortunately I haven't been up to the woods yet this year due to prior commitments..How are the deer running up north?

monster10rackstack 10-16-2006 04:43 PM

They re moving in the northeast corner

tlutterba 10-16-2006 05:13 PM

Southern Indiana here. Posey and Vanderburgh county

Buck Huntin Girl 10-16-2006 06:55 PM

I have only been out6 times now, but I'm starting to see they are steering clear of daylight hours. I got in my stand this morning around 6:50 or so, had one behind my stand not more than 10 yards or so, but as soon as I got in the stand, my buddy shined his flashlight behind my stand because we heard some rustling and the deer busted. It would've busted anyway because my buddy still had to walk to his stand and woulda stirred it up... heard 2 deer within shooting range, one walking into the cornfield, one walking out of it around 7:00. Had one come right out of trail 20yds to my left about 7:20, 2 minutes before shooting light, but with it being cloudy/overcast I couldn't see my pins until about 7:35 anyway. I saw it's silhoutte walking, but couldn't make out whether it was a doe or buck, it headed straight out of the woods and into the cornfield.

Didn't see or hear another one after that.... sat til 9:30, even had my buddy push the woods on his way through, nothing.

Suppose to rain the rest of the week, so I probably won't get back out until the weekend. [:-]

Oh well... still plenty of time.

Monie 10-16-2006 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: redneckhunter09

What part of Indiana do you guys/gals hunt? I'm in Pulaski County..unfortunately I haven't been up to the woods yet this year due to prior commitments..How are the deer running up north?
Miami, Wabash and Cass counties

bnzartman 10-16-2006 08:35 PM

I'm hunting southwestern part of Kosciusko County. Pretty slow so far, but I have not been out a whole lot. I don't get to excited until the last week of October, especially the days surrounding Halloween.

bigbuckOO 10-16-2006 10:17 PM

Im hunting cass county but havent been out yet. Maybe the end of this week and deffinitely next week i will be out.

Parrot Head 10-17-2006 06:01 AM

My numbers so far through last night the 16th. 10 days hunted in Jackson and Jennings Co. 40 hours, 10 deer seen
6 days hunted in Jefferson/Switzerland counties. 48 hours, 124 deer.

Honna 10-17-2006 09:27 AM

I hunt in Southeastern Indiana around Franklin County. I am in heavy equipment school right now and I am only home on the weekend so I havent been able to hunt much but what I have I haven't seen very many deer the property just isn't producing like it used to be couple years ago you could go hunting everyday and see a deer everytime you go hunting but i only seen small little deer no mature deer at all. But I only have two weeks left in school so then I will be able to pour on the hunting and hopefully kill a nice mature buck and a couple does.

drj71 10-18-2006 05:22 PM

I was wondering how many bowhunters there are hunting the Mississinewa res. in the early season. I have recently moved about 20 minutes south of the reservoir, but haven't has time look it over. I don't want to go wondering around and mess up anybodies hunt. Just looking for a place to get some meat for the freezer.

Monie 10-18-2006 07:59 PM

I hunt Mississinewa. There are a few hunters out there, but not as many as firearms. When opening day of firearms hits, STAY HOME! Those guys are friggin nuts! A friend and I were out last year on the firearms opener. Some guy shot a buck and came tromping along like he saw exactly where the deer went. My friend and I tracked it for a ways, before the guy got there, then told him which way it went. He didn't say thanks or kiss my butt. He got on his cell and called his buddy...tromping through the thicket, not even looking for blood. He was just looking like he was looking for the deer. What a BOOB!

Anyway, as far as places to hunt, I hear S1N is good. I usually hunt 1, at least I think it's 1. It's over by Red Bridge. Lots of deer, if you can slip in at the right time. There's an old man that lives down 1050 S, just off of Old Slocum Trail, who wants the deer gone, They tear up his garden. It's a big deal because he doesn't eat meat anymore. Anyway, there's a parking area. Take the trail to the right of the parking area, there will be a sstand of trees and a ridge that runs along side. Deer run that ridge to get from the fields to their bedding area. I haven't hunted there this year. I've been going with friends.

Hope this helped.

monster10rackstack 10-18-2006 08:41 PM

great help monie ive hunted roush lake byhuntingtonthis year and never saw another hunter most of my hunting when im at college is around north manchester

bigbuckOO 10-18-2006 10:13 PM

I have never hunted Mississinewa, but i do go over there alot in the early spring and fish for crappie right in the area you are talking about Monie. It's just before the red bridge, there is a bend in the road and if you go straight it takes you right up to the lake, there is a gravel area to park. Before they raise the water level there i catch crappie off the bank. Earlier this year when i was coming home i seen a TON of deer in a field in that area, im not sure what the road is, but it was the first one off of slocum trail. Go over the bridge all the way out to the first stop and take a right. There used to be another guy on here that bow hunted all the time at Missisinewa but havent seen him around lately, he seemed to always do ok over there.

bucksnbeagles 10-19-2006 05:50 AM

I live and hunt in Harrison Co. I also hunt Crawford, Orange and Perry Co's at times. I'm fairly new to this forum and have just come across this section. This is the kind of sight that can be very helpful as it has been with some of my other post. I hunted the first 2 weeks of bow as I was layed off. The deer at that time were hitting the red oaks hard. Killed a nice doe on the 14th. Full moon at the time combined with warm conditions made it difficult getting to stands as the deer at the time were bedding and feeding in same area especially in the morning.Buck activity was starting to pick up as rub lines was being formed. No scapes as of the 15th, but I have just spot checked a few areas not to disturb The areas until the timing is right. Back to work this week and will be off the next 2 weeks so my first day back in groove will be Friday evening if things go as planned. Looking forward to getting some updates of what is going on from you guys. I will post and share what I see going on in my neck of the woods. Seen several bucks in first couple weeks but no shooters. Should start to bust wide open as the chase/seek phase begins. Let the small ones go and wait for the bigun. Good Luck!!!!!!!!