HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Indiana Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/157510-indiana-hunters.html)

Pat Curtis 09-23-2006 12:10 PM

Indiana Hunters

We've had one of these the past few years, and has been one of the hottest threads in the Midwest forum. I see a few Indiana hunters posting from time to time..might as well make 1 thread and update it when we all can. [8D]

Just over a week away until bow season starts October 1st. On our trail cam in LaGrange Co, we got some great deer pictured. I for one hope this cool weather keeps up..I can't wait! Plus this year, we get an extra week of hunting, being that firearm season starts a week later this year.

I pray to everything HolyI get my bow back before next week. Yesterday I was shooting it at the Huntington archery range, and my cam let go. Ruined my string and lost a Harmonic Dampener. Bah!

psychobubba 09-24-2006 06:16 AM

RE: Indiana Hunters

bummer about your bow hope you get it back 6 days 14 hr 15 mins

Pat Curtis 09-24-2006 10:39 AM

Supposed to have it back Friday afternoon...which would give me Saturday to fine tune it.

1 week from now, I'll be in a tree stand! [8D]

bnzartman 09-24-2006 09:51 PM

I'm pumped for this year. I went from being able to hunt 1 farm in Kosciusko County to 4 farms now. Looks like a big cool down starting Friday. Sunday morning is supose to be in the upper 30's to low 40's. You can't ask for more than that on October 1st. I shot well at Bass N Bucks in Wabash Saturday. The new Bowtech Allegiance is ready for its first kill. I know my wife is not too pumped up for the season to begin. Oh well, tis the season.

StealthHtr22 09-25-2006 09:49 AM

Here in Vanderburgh Co. we've been hunting since the 15th. This weather has really been nice. Been seeing a lot of deer already too! Passed up about 20 does and 4-5 small bucks.

Pat Curtis 09-25-2006 11:04 AM

As it appears now, Thur-Sun is supposed to be fairly cool. I BETTER have my bow by Friday..or heads will roll.

kevin1 09-25-2006 11:40 AM

I wasn't able to get my ladder stand up this past weekend due to the torrential rain , but I'm gonna try to get it in place this afternoon , other than that I'm as ready as I'll ever be .

Buck Huntin Girl 09-25-2006 05:36 PM

I'm here... I show up every year at hunting season... :) I've always got to see what the competition is like ;)

I am in Allen County, but hunt in Noble. Have corn planted in every field surrounding our hunting grounds, so it ought to be a gooooood year!

monster10rackstack 09-25-2006 08:34 PM

Hey everybody im ready for season too this season looks to be a great one since ive picked up a lot more ground around north manchester where im at college. plus i still got my grounds in noble, dekalb, and steuben. did anybody her how the youth season went

Parrot Head 09-26-2006 06:04 AM

I have been shooting the bow every night off of the wood shed. I shot the guns this past week-end to check them out. All food plots were cut the 1st of Sept to allow good growth back. Both the clover and alfalfa look great. Drilled in some oats about 2 weeks ago. I believe we have 97 days this year. So I am ready for 97 straight days of deer hunting. Going for 100% attendance again. Good luck all

sk74ford 09-27-2006 09:39 AM

I hunt in Vanderburgh County so I have been at it since September 15. I haven’t seen very many deer while hunting but I always seen them when I am not. I have been after a particular buck that has been running around with a smaller buck on the farm I hunt. I saw him yesterday but I couldn’t get off a shot. But I’ll be on him again come Thursday.

Pat Curtis 10-05-2006 06:53 PM

Man, all of our great Colts/marriage/baby info got the axe...lol..

Got out of work VERY early today, so I went out around 2pm. Kicked up a small buck walking in, about tripped over him..they sure do blend in well when they're bedded down. Only saw 1 deer while in my stand..roughly 200 yards away.

When I was leaving, a big doe and 2 fawns were feeding on some beans that the farmer left up for us. A fawn busted me, but I got down really fast..and they didn't notice me after that. Just for fun, I tried my snort/wheeze on my Buck Growl call...was freaking them out! They bolted 50 yards full out..then stopped..looked around..the fawns beat up on each other..then they all started eating beans again. Cool time. I decided to back out and not spook them..and another deer was behind me just 50 yards! lol..ended up spooking them all away..but it was getting dark and I was starved...needed to get to my truck.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-05-2006 07:35 PM

Yup, we lost all the gooshy stuff. LOL

Oh well.

I didn't go out at all today. I figured maybe hubby would go tonight, but he stayed home and I made mashed taters, chicken n noodles, bread, and homemade apple dumplin's for dinner. Beats the McD's he woulda grabbed on the way to work after gettin' outta the stand.

Probably won't hunt at all tomorrow, I'm sure I'll get out sometime this weekend, or hubby will. Either or, as long as we get a deer, and he has a better chance than I do this year because of location and circumstance, so it's better to have your best man on the front lines I guess.

bigbuckOO 10-05-2006 11:40 PM

I seen an absolute hawg of a Buck tonight standing in a bean field just off the edge of a thicket while i was on my way to a cousins volleyball game. I also had a doe run right out in front of me, this was at around 6PM, so there was plenty of light left in the day. Me and the wife are going to look at 30 acres of woods on saturday afternoon, the owners of the property are getting divorced and they are selling the 30 acres plus the trailer home on the property. He is friends with my aunt and uncle and he said he hasnt had it appraised yet but he figures 60 grand for it all, he paid 45,500 for it 10 years ago. Mobile homes dont appreciate though so im not sure his figure will be accurate. I dont need the house so i figured i could rent that out to help with payments every month. The wife is excited becuase we both want to eventually build a new home on some land, i get nervous when it comes to spending money like that though. Supposedly he already has 15 offers and he just put the sign out on Saturday. My uncle killed a brute of a 10 pointer there a few years ago, the 30 acres connects into a much bigger section of woods on both sides. The only downfall to it is that it is a very step climb.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-06-2006 08:32 AM

I hear ya, I get nervous spending large sums of money too! But, if you can get 30 acres for 60k?!!! You better hop on that train, bro, because that's 2k an acre which is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Pat Curtis 10-06-2006 09:18 AM

Barely buy farm land for that.

An uncle of mine bought 400 acres on the Adams/Allen Co. line (just east of HW 27) for less than 1.5k/acre..do to the fact the owner had a HUGE debt from betting. The first time we walked thru the land we found old farm equipment...some my Uncle sold as collector items.

I'm not going out today...the wife got really upset once she learned I was hunting yesterday afternoon instead of getting ready to move. Tomorrow/Sunday will be 100% dedicated to killing.

kevin1 10-06-2006 09:20 AM

I paid 100K for 10 acres of woods with an 1,800 sf berm house 2 years ago , if you can get 30 acres with a rental home on it for 30K then snatch that up before the owner sobers up !

monster10rackstack 10-06-2006 01:02 PM

I agree with everybody else that land is a deal Been out 2 times this year had a couple of nice does at 20yd but it was to dark last night i hunt roush lake in huntington and saw a great buck and a couple ofdoes but being public ground they had a lot to roam and they roamed on another trail oh well i was in a nice hiddy hole so ill be back there next week ill just hunt some private ground tonight and this weekend

monster10rackstack 10-06-2006 06:40 PM

Wow what a night. I hunted a small woods off a state road. I was setting off a corn field. The woods is really overgrown but has some big trees. i climbed the tree with my viper and sat in the wind for a couple of hours all the sudden i spotted a skunk 15 yards away then a racoon I looked behind the tree and here comes a doe down the path I had walked in through brush to cut it short I missed a 17 yardshot oh well its early

Pat Curtis 10-06-2006 07:01 PM

Lots of time to make up for mistakes. What times approx have you seen deer moving? For me it's beenreally early orreally late.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-06-2006 08:04 PM

I've only been out 3 times, saw two deer opening morning, one buck and one undetermined... both headed away from me though, buck busted me as I got in my stand and the other took off about a minute after that. I hate it when that happens too!

Tomorrow morning should be great! Full moon, temps in the 30's... I don't get to go, not sure if I'll hunt at all this weekend, but hubby will be out, wishing him luck, our freezer sure is getting empty.[&o]

Pat Curtis 10-07-2006 02:56 AM

Gone huntin'! [8D]

monster10rackstack 10-07-2006 08:06 AM

most of the one i saw have moved late2 times then last night she came by at around 7 she was more interested on eating the green leaves then anything

Buck Huntin Girl 10-07-2006 02:02 PM

Hubby got a nice 5pt today, had only been in his stand 12 minutes or so when he came crunching through. Never stopped, made a moving, double lung shot. :)

Anyway, I have posted in the bowhunting forum under "Buck Down" and will post pics tonight.

Pat Curtis 10-07-2006 07:01 PM

Good Job to your hubby!

I had does with fawns running around me all day..had plenty of opportunities to shoot..held off.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-08-2006 10:38 AM

I plan on going out here in a few hours, hopefully I'll see something... I probably shouldn't but I think I'm going to climb my buddy stand. I just can't handle not having a bird's eye view, plus it'sFAR more comfortable than my other set up.Maybe I'll shoot one tonight and I won't have to worry about climbing it anymore. That would be nice, although with temps at 74 today, I'm guessing they won't be moving much. Yesterday was the day, cold temps, crisp, cool morning... Thursday is looking good so far, low of 28??? Could be interesting.

Pat Curtis 10-08-2006 02:14 PM

Saw aton of does/fawns this morning right behind me...and a spike that was going insane when I grunted at him. He was running in circles and stomping his feet. Little runt...lol

This afternoon was a waste. I had sweat rolling off me..and bugs were swarming everywhere. I said the heck with it, came home and watched the Colts pull one out.

I did however, see a ½ dozen small scrapes, and countless rubs...and a small buck with a big doe. Hmmm..someone's ahead of the game...lol

monster10rackstack 10-08-2006 05:04 PM

Shot a nice 6 pt last night and it ran to the neighbor's property he said he wanted it so i said ok

Pat Curtis 10-08-2006 06:22 PM

Sounds like you put up a fight...lol

Buck Huntin Girl 10-08-2006 06:54 PM

went out tonight, sweat my you know what off... sat for 3+ hours, I'm sure my back will remind me of that later...

was getting ready to get out of my stand, I usually get out about 15 minutes early so I can see where I'm going, I don't need to trip and fall right now, but just as I was getting ready to pack up, I thought I heard a small crunch. I didn't think much of it because I'd had squirrels, chipmunks, and birds rustling leaves all night. I thought, well for ****s and giggles, I'll just check things out. Of COURSE, there was a young buck standing about 10 yards behind my stand. Don't ask me how I didn't hear him coming through the woods, but I didn't. Well, to make a long story short, I really only have one small shooting lane behind me into the woods, he was standing in it. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't looked quick enough because he was one step too far and I had a big leafy branch right in my way.

I figured I would wait, because he was headed straight for the apple tree that is beside my tree. It then opens up into about a 15 ft. wide grass strip on my side of the creek.... I thought, perfect, he's gonna step into that opening.... no, he turned and walked down the treeline. He was only about 5 yards from my stand though... but he was headed away and I had a big apple tree right in the way of the shot. I waited some more, and he just headed down the creek line and was about 25 yards away at that point. I lowered my bow and thought well... maybe just *maybe* I can get down and get a shot. I got down fine, he didn't hear or see me, but his tooshie was facing me... no shot. Got about 3 yards closer, he turned broadside, but at that point he was too far for me to be comfortable. I haven't made a 30 yard shot on a deer, only on target, and not as tight of groups as I would like... so I opted not to take the shot. He ended up seeing me, and walked into the woods. He wasn't really spooked, but he knew something wasn't right.

He was interesting though, kinda a spike, only with one side! LOL He was missing an entire side, and his spike was about 8-9" tall and about 2" wide, all palmated. I've never seen anything like it before...

Well, maybe next time.

monster10rackstack 10-08-2006 07:38 PM

yea i didnt pat i was planning on giving him to the guy or another guy so i was like ok I know what you are saying BHG i have acorns falling like crazy and last night a doe got to close and picked me off by my movement

Buck Huntin Girl 10-08-2006 08:38 PM

Well, in that aspect, I'm lucky, the tree I have my buddy stand on is so big around that I have plenty of room to roam without getting "caught", I mean I stood up, turned around, grabbed my bow which I had laying across the top bars of my stand, hooked on my release, shifted my feet... never detected me. I just figure it's early enough in the year and I was simply thrilled to see a deer because I really didn't expect to see anything tonight with it being so hot.

Kinda a good thing I didn't shoot I guess, cuz he woulda had to stay overnight since hubby works 3rd and at 7 months pregnant I can't exactly drag my own deer right now... lol... it's gonna be hot enough tomorrow that he couldn't of sat long either, I woulda been really ticked if I'd have gotten him and the meat spoiled.

IHubby says he'll be back, I'm sure he will, I'm not too worried about it though, like I said, plenty of season left and plenty of other deer around.He was different though, not a "trophy" buck, but unique, and I like that. I have never had a deer any closer than 25 yards to my stand so I was pumped, it was so cool to watch him saunter around having no idea he was being watched! LOL

Parrot Head 10-09-2006 05:26 AM

Firday morning nothing. Friday evening i saw 15. 5 of which were bucks 2of those were right at their ears. 1 other one was past his ears about 2 inches on each side but had not length. I watched them. S
Sat. moring 1 doe Sat evenig same stand as Friday. 15 again 3 bucks nothing big
Sunday a.m. 1, 10 point just out to his ears. Sunday evening different stand 28 deer. 4 bucks plus 2 others fighting behind me. At one point I had 12 in my 3 acre alfalfa field at the same time.

I ended up seeing 60 in 3 days. If the a.m. would get better I would be a happy hunter.

monster10rackstack 10-09-2006 03:20 PM

Thats great to hear Parrotim at manchester college right now

Pat Curtis 10-09-2006 06:00 PM

Looks like the mercury is about to drop in a day or so..thank God! This coming weekend I'm set to go hunting (IF we get our stuff moved in during the week).

Buck Huntin Girl 10-09-2006 06:37 PM

Well, Pat, we better block you from this site then... only way you'll get moving and packing done!

Heard two, but only saw one tonight, and that was from my walk to the stand. One I saw was a decent buck on the other side of the creek from me, bolted towards my stand, but he probably ended up in the corn field. Second one bolted towards the other stand, which is off limits for me this year, couldn't even get a glance, brush was too thick.

I'm looking forward to the temp drop. I'm bout sick of sweating my tooshie off every night. I probably won't get out again until Friday. I'm exhausted from two days in a row, I've got to get some rest, my legs feel like Jell-O.

Pat Curtis 10-09-2006 06:45 PM

What I'm really looking foward to are the high winds Wed-Fri supposedly. Up to 30mph gusts should really blow some leaves off the trees.

Don't tell me my business about blocking me from this site! ;) Got the woman and her brother moving a few small things...only stuff left would be bedroom/living room stuff, and stove/fridge/washer/dryer. We don't own a whole lot of stuff..but moving into a house with a ton of space.

bigbuckOO 10-09-2006 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

What I'm really looking foward to are the high winds Wed-Fri supposedly. Up to 30mph gusts should really blow some leaves off the trees.

Me too. They are saying snow on thursday and low of 29 on friday, very windy those days as well. I will probably get in the woods next week.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-10-2006 06:14 AM

:)That's it, Pat, it's for your own good, I'm emailing Justin... you are getting BANNED!!! [8D]

The winds will be nice... the leaves are the only reason I couldn't get a shot Sunday night. There are downsides to the wind though too... I personally won't hunt with winds over 20mph. I tried it all season last year, seemed every day was windy, and I saw NOTHING on those days besides the fact I froze to the bone and nearly blew out of my stand numerous times. I like a slight breeze, even one that sway my stand a little, but when my stand is rockin' like a baby cradle, I'm out of there!
I also have a really good tree in front of my stand that blocks the view of my stand from incoming deer, allows me a little more movement when my butt is numbing up... lol, once those leaves are down, I lose some cover.

Of course, with the cold temps is coming rain/snow mixture, I'm not going out in that either. So... looks like Friday may be the first day back out... and maybe Saturday. I'm kinda excited because since hubby filled his buck tag, I think he may sit with me. I love it when he sits with me... an extra pair of eyes to pick out the ear and tail flickers in the tall set aside field!

Parrot Head 10-10-2006 10:27 AM

monster10,

MU is a very nice campus. When I was at Indiana W. playing basketball we played them every year. The next year I was an assistant coach and at that time Steve ALford was the coach there I got to know him pretty well through scouting and recruiting and exchanging tapes. He was a very nice guy.