Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
CWD found in northern Illinois >

CWD found in northern Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

CWD found in northern Illinois

Old 11-04-2002, 08:54 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CWD found in northern Illinois

Nick,

The media down here is already in a panic. The were long before it was "officially" found here. Stupid though, but what do you expect out of Chicago.

I'd be willing to bet that WI finds it in a lot of places outside the hotzone this year. Wouldn't surprise me if they find it all around IL too. Heck, it's probably been here for a long time...who knows.

I really feel sorry for you guys up there in the CWD Zone. I've been hunting there for years, and still do, but I don't live there. You folks do. It's a shame and only one thing's for sure...hunting will never be the same again.

JRW
Old 11-04-2002, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow Nub. It only took one joking comment to set him off. I thought it was rather humerous myself. But I do like the idea of free arrows!! Those things are expensive!!

With all that said.....CWD is a nation wide problem!! If you think you don't have it in your state, you are crazy!! Just cuz nobody has reported any, doesn't mean it isn't there.

And peak, if you take everything dead serious like you did with nubs post, you have got bigger problems than the CWD. Loosen up a tad!

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 11-04-2002, 12:10 PM

Peak, I was a little confused about your comment also. You almost stated like it was their fault? I don't think that is what you meant, but like Nub said your intention with the comment wasn't exactly clear. I assume you meant that because manufacturers (of hunting products?) make all their money off of hunters, that they might benefit from helping out the cause? If so, I wouldn't look for that to happen unless it gets so bad that deer hunting on a widespread area gets threatened. On the other hand, they have no more reason to donate finances to help than you do.

--Sign In Chinese Pet Store: "Buy one dog, get one flea..."--
Old 11-04-2002, 03:34 PM

Here is a link to some more info:
http://www.pjstar.com/services/speci...ing/cover.html

Here is another article I found. So far it doesn't look like ILDNR is going to go to the extremes they did in WI:

###
Wasting disease found in northern Illinois deer

A variant of mad-cow, the illness is fatal to cervids

November 2, 2002

By JEFF LAMPE of thePeoria Journal Star

PEORIA - The news Illinois deer hunters and wildlife officials have been dreading all fall became official Friday when a Winnebago County white-tailed deer tested positive for chronic wasting disease.

The young female deer shot by a landowner northeast of Rockford is the first Illinois animal to test positive for chronic wasting disease - a fatal neurological malady first found in Colorado elk in the 1960s.

Though the result was not unexpected, given a similar discovery last February in southern Wisconsin, Friday's news was not welcomed by wildlife officials.

"The detection of CWD in Winnebago County is disappointing," said Brent Manning, director of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. "We are committed to a long- term plan of stepped-up surveillance and monitoring to control the spread of this disease."

CWD is a variant of mad-cow disease caused by an abnormally shaped protein that damages brain and nerve tissue. So far there is no scientific evidence indicating CWD is transmissible to humans.

"The first thing I would say is I personally eat venison," Manning said. "Secondly, there have been no confirmed cases of this disease being passed into the human population."

Similar sentiments have not eased the fears of some residents of Wisconsin. The disease was first found in that state near Mount Horeb, 40 miles north of the Illinois border.

Sales of hunting licenses are down 23 percent in the months since and revenues for the Wisconsin DNR have dropped by $3.8 million. And many Wisconsin citizens expressed outrage at that state's plan to kill every deer in a 361-square-mile area around Mount Horeb.

Illinois officials said Friday they have no plans to initiate a similar eradication plan in Winnebago County. Officials also stressed that Illinois' 230,000 deer hunters need not panic.

"One deer doesn't mean an epidemic. So we're taking this one step at a time," said John Buhnerkempe, head of the DNR's wildlife division. "I feel strongly the best approach is to take a very deliberate approach and not do anything extraordinary at this point and time."

To gauge the scope of the disease, the DNR plans to sample at least 3,500 deer during the shotgun hunting season.

Hunters are also asked to report any animals they see showing signs of emaciation, staggering, consuming large amounts of water, urinating excessively or generally showing a lack of wariness.

"After we gather data and apply the best science we have to that information we'll figure out how to deal with this disease and how to manage it for the state," Buhnerkempe said.

Beyond that, officials urge hunters to follow basic precautions when handling deer they shoot.

Preliminary indications from some hunters in Winnebago County is that they still plan to head afield. Archery season has been under way in Illinois since Oct. 1 and the first shotgun season runs Nov. 22-24.

"We were all pretty much hoping it wasn't here," said Robert Erb of Rockford, a long- time bowhunter. "But I don't think people are going to quit hunting. Unless it starts showing up more."

That possibility certainly exists.

Test results are still pending for an animal shot this week by conservation police officer Steve Vasicek near Tremont.

"It was emaciated and sick looking and would let me walk to within 10 yards of it before it would startle and run," Vasicek said.

That description is similar to the one called in Oct. 25 by the Winnebago County landowner who lived near the city of Roscoe.

"The farmer said the deer was sick and looked emaciated and let him walk right to it before he shot it," said Lt. William Shannon, a conservation police officer.

Tests conducted at both the Illinois Department of Agriculture laboratory in Centralia and the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, confirmed the disease.

As a result, Illinois joins the ranks of 10 other states and two Canadian provinces that have discovered CWD in deer or elk within their borders.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I'd be willing to bet that WI finds it in a lot of places outside the hotzone this year. Wouldn't surprise me if they find it all around IL too. Heck, it's probably been here for a long time...who knows. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

JRW, anypone who knows me from this BBS knows that I've been saying this from the very first detection of CWD in Wisconsin !!!!

NOBODY KNOWS A LOT ABOUT CWD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&quot;If it sounds and looks too good to be true, it probably is !&quot;
Old 11-08-2002, 08:53 PM

I find this very funny guys i hate to tell you this but C.W.D. is in every state the D.N.R just will not tell you about it in wisconsin the D.N.R just told us after 5 years
Old 11-09-2002, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I find this very funny guys i hate to tell you this but C.W.D. is in every state the D.N.R just will not tell you about it in wisconsin the D.N.R just told us after 5 years <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

bassmaster, I think we will find out that it has been more like 20 years !!!!!

&quot;If it sounds and looks too good to be true, it probably is !&quot;
Old 11-12-2002, 06:48 AM
nub

Peak: You sure this isn't just a continuation of our disagreement over the DNR's inabillity to count deer in WI.?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2002, 08:26 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Nick, I couldn't have put it better!

It is one thing to reduce population in an area, or in the state as a whole, to lessen the chances of disease spreading. It is another thing to advocate &quot;eradication&quot;: that is, the wholesale slaugher of deer within the Mt Horeb area.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Bet the DNR here in WI won't change there eradication plan though.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> What?? And admit that they might be wrong? Better chance of whitetails developing wings and flying than of that happening.

I've posted this before and not one of the supporters of the DNR's stupid eradication plan has responded to it. But let's say the following occurs:

We are testing many more deer in each area of the state this year. Based on what we've seen thus far, there is a good chance that CWD will turn up in areas well outside of the eradication zone. So let's say a case found by Eau Claire, one by Green Bay, one by Milwaukee, one by Rhinelander. Now what?

According to the DNR, we would then make about 90% of the state an &quot;eradication zone&quot;. How nice!! Again, let's kill all the deer in order to save them. Then, what would the greatest danger to the continued survival of the whitetail in Wisconsin be: a disease that affects less than 5% of the population, or the DNR??

<font size=3>...YOU DECIDE!</font id=size3>

Edited by - TJD on 11/12/2002 09:29:07

Quick Reply: CWD found in northern Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.