Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Another Wi. Gobbler Down. >

Another Wi. Gobbler Down.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Another Wi. Gobbler Down.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Another Wi. Gobbler Down.

As this year marked my 15th anniversary of turkey hunting Iharvested the biggest bird of my turkey hunting career. I will post pic later today.

I hunted hard all morning yesterday begining at 5:30 with no luck on 180 acres of my land. I decided to moveto another area of land that is40 acres, all pines. No luck again.I decided it was time to run to town for coffee and meet up with other turkey hunters that I know. They werent having any luck either. I went back to the "ranch" and decided Id try the back 40 behind the "ranch" where we had been seeing some turkeys all spring. I setup just inside the woods about 45 yards, setup one hen decoy in a small clearing, then settled up against a nice large oak tree. I began with a series of light putts, purrs, and yelps, within 2 seconds I had a couple gobbling back at me. 2 minutes later I see one, I watched him strut in along with 6 other toms, 3 jakes and two hens. I checked out the other birds and couldmake them out. I knew the biggest one was comming in first. As he got closer he stopped behind a small oak. Which then gave me a chance to raise my gun, little did I know that no more than 7-10 feet from me was a hen on my left side. She saw me raise my gun and took off, this breaking the strut of the boss. He moved out from behind the tree and pegged me, it was now or never, I took the 40 yard shot and he dropped like a ton of bricks. All this happend in 5 minutes. My fastest kill ever, as well as my largest.

Eastern
22 lbs
2 1 inch spurs
10 1/2inch beard
40 yard shot

Equipment:
12 Ga. Winchester Black Shadow Speed Pump w/660 Turkey Choke
Winchester Supreme 3 Inch #5's

Last Years Tom:
Eastern
21lbs
3/4 Inch Spur & 7/8 inch Spur