Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Newbie...Question about Kansas Hunting >

Newbie...Question about Kansas Hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Newbie...Question about Kansas Hunting

Old 01-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Newbie...Question about Kansas Hunting

Was turned onto this site by my cousin "Bionicrooster" a few weeks ago. Lurked since then but decided to register. I usually hunt Southern NJ and the Eastern Shore of MD, however, last week while on vaca in Disney World (FL) I stumbled on some access to land in Kansas. Long story short, my 4 year old daughter was playing with another little girl at the pool and I met the parents. We talked for a while and they invited me to come hunt their 1000acre farm in south central Kansas.

I have never been hunting in this part of the world,but I have always read and heard that Kansas is the if not the best, one of the best places to hunt for the bigguns'. Any reccommendations would be gretaly appreciated. I can look up the seasons, but what about special permits/liscensing?, whens' the rut, what type of hunting is it? open turain, woodlands? Is this a big enough track (if open turain) to be worth a trip? All those completely unfamiliar questions about the area.

Thanks...Insanity
Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM

Default RE: Newbie...Question about Kansas Hunting

There is no rifle hunting the rut here in KS. But if you have access to about a 1000 acres in SC Kansas i would not pass it up. Licenses <-OTC and tags can be bought draw or transfer (over the counter) Sorry i was wrong insanity. Thanks for pointing this out Mark of state residents but are almost 400 dollars. Season is usually from the end of nov to mid december. 2 weeks only Nov 30- Dec 11.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: KansasHunter5

There is no rifle hunting the rut here in KS. But if you have access to about a 1000 acres in SC Kansas i would not pass it up. Licenses and tags can be bought over the counter by out of state residents but are almost 400 dollars. Season is usually from the end of nov to mid december. 2 weeks only Nov 30- Dec 11.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Yes it is true that you cannot hunt the rut with a rifle.

HOWEVER, Non-Residents MAY NOT purchase an OTC tag, they have to draw to get one or procure a Transferrable Tag from a landowner (usually for big bucks). Insanity, you are asking for legal advice on a BBS which you will usually be just BS. Go to the KDWP website, and they have Big Game regulations, in which the requirements are laid out.

Here is the link:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/hunting/big_game
Old 01-19-2006, 04:27 AM

Thanks guys...I was figuring on spending some time researching the liscensing and fees etc. What I was more intersted is the type of hunting. I am used to traditinal NorthEast woods hunting, sometimes field hunting. Packing the Loggy on every trip, climbing trees in dense cover, limited sight, etc. Whenever I see a show or read about the mid west or western style hunting, I see more stalking as the norm. Or bow hunting cotton wood hedges, etc.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:34 AM

BTW...do most non-residents that apply usually get drawn or is it a really small number given out (making the chances of getting drawn slim to none)?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your friend has offered his 1000 acres of land to hunt, then he may offer a transferrable landowner tag as well. This would basically gaurentee a tag for ya. Otherwise the draw it is. That is, if it isn't changed before season. I've heard lots of rumors of full OTC. If those rumors are true, then we'll be hearing of the plans shortly.

The type of hunting depends on the terrain. In the eastern 1/2 of the state, stand hunting in creek-bottoms and hunting agriculture fields is the norm. In the western 1/2, that style is still popular, but so is spot and stalk. But the stategy will depend on the weapon of choice as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Sorry for misleading you. I had a friend from out of state who told me he bought a tag here, come to find out he had one transfered from a land owner. thanks for the correction mark
Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 AM

Thanks again guys...The actual area is about 70-80 south west of Wichita and from some initial ariel photos/research it looks to be kind of open terain with draws and cottonwood bottoms. I see that the applications are due by May so I will be filling mune out soon just in case things stay the same.

I hope to do some bow hunting or maybe even muzzleloader. The regular gun season probably would not be of interest as it coincides with all our seasons back here.