Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 CWD in Wisconsin >

CWD in Wisconsin

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

CWD in Wisconsin

Old 01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default CWD in Wisconsin

The DNR does not have a leg to stand on when it comes to the facts about CWD. It is very obvius that this CWD kill is really about them forceing us to lower the population by useing this disease as an excuse. They will not allow us to discuss CWD at the meetings and hearings that we attend claiming its not up for debate becuase its a biological problem... Thats just horse crap! The reason they won't let us discuss it is cuase we would easly win any argument about CWD.

OK, 1st of all. this disease cannot be removed from our herd EVER useing the plan currently provided by the DNR becuase the disease lives dormant in the enviroment indefinatly. There current plan is to get the population down to 5 animails per square mile.
If there are deer in an area that has CWD liveing in the enviroment, as long as there are any deer, they can get infected. Here are some quotes from the Wisconsin DNR's CWD pro. Matt Verdon:

When I asked how he could think he could stop the disease by ERADICATION of the herd.

Quote:

Simply put, with the size of the infected area and the factors involved, deer eradication is unrealistic as a means to control the disease.

-Matt
Q Matthew Verdon
Chronic Wasting Disease Data Coordinator
Bureau of Wildlife Management
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

Question: Can this disease be stopped by killing all the deer?

Quote:

Even if we kill all the deer in the infected area there isn't a guarantee the disease will not return

Matt
Q Matthew Verdon

Questoin: Does the disease lie in the ground dormant until the next generation of deer come through?

Quote:

There has been research done that shows the disease can be obtained from the environment

Matt
Q Matthew Verdon

Question: What percentage of the deer herd does it affect, If left unchecked?

Quote:

It is unknown how high the infection rate would get if we let the disease go unchecked. Looking on a section level (1 square mile) the highest we have seen is 10-12% of the adult population infected.

Matt
Q Matthew Verdon

That one is interesting... Notice he says ADULT population. In a sqaure mile the adult population is about 5 adult deer. That would meen .5% of the deer in the highest area have the disease... Good reason to kill them all hey???

By the way, how about the rumors the DNR spread about the disease killing people, remember that crap all over the news??? I sure do. Well after over 30 years of researching this disease out West, they have not been able to get it to react to humans. I questioned the DNR about it:

I asked him why the WDNR is trying to falsely lead people into beleiveing this disease can be transferred to humans? Why are they warning me not to eat the meat on the card they mailed me? Matt, is this some sort of scare tactic??? here is his return email:

Quote:

Thank you for your comments. The DNR has never stated that CWD is transferable to humans or other animals.

-Matt

I emailed him about the safety issues, Why is he allowing rifles in zones where they were banned for safety reasons? Why are they encouraging large numbers of hunters to shoot at any deer, or anything that moves? Why have a 3 month gun season? I mentioned the guy in madison who shot the Llamba. and he said

Quote:

Thank you for your comments. It is the responsibility of every hunter to determine what they are shooting at, whether hunting deer, pheasant, turkey, bear, etc..

Yea.... That makes me feel real safe, Hey? Do you guys want to take your kids hunting out there???

I am asking everybody who is concered about the future of hunting in Wisconsin to consider spending a few hours writeing the Govener, Radio stations, Newspapers, Hunting and politacal magazines. Send this link all over Wisconsin. I garruntee they are not going to stop expanding the zones unless we stop them. Together we can make a differance.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CWD in Wisconsin

Here is an idea!
Try to find a cure. Otherwise treat it like all the other wildlife disease's, and let mother nature take its coarse. Just sounds like commen sense to me? We had an out break of rabies in S.E. Wisconsin a number of years back. I remember seeing several rabid animals. A girl from Wisconsin was bit by a rabid bat and almost died last year... Why not kill all of the bats?? Why not put a big cicle on the friggin map and kill all the raccoons that have or could get or carrie rabbies? Why not kill all of the coyotes to stop mange?
And guess what Rabies actually will kill, and has killed people, unlike CWD that does not kill people, and has not killed people or other animals in the over 30 years that we have known about and studyied it.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check this out! Some fool cut a fence on a farm that has deer with CWD on it! What a drag!

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jan06/385043.asp
Old 01-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

It would take a real freak to let the CWD deer loose in Portage[:'(]
Old 01-14-2006, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Bukmastr

. Here are some quotes from the Wisconsin DNR's CWD pro. Matt Verdon:

It is unknown how high the infection rate would get if we let the disease go unchecked. Looking on a section level (1 square mile) the highest we have seen is 10-12% of the adult population infected.

Matt
Q Matthew Verdon

That one is interesting... Notice he says ADULT population. In a sqaure mile the adult population is about 5 adult deer. That would meen .5% of the deer in the highest area have the disease... Good reason to kill them all hey???
What??This statement makes nosense? Where are you getting your numbers from?

I emailed him about the safety issues, Why is he allowing rifles in zones where they were banned for safety reasons? Why are they encouraging large numbers of hunters to shoot at any deer, or anything that moves? Why have a 3 month gun season? I mentioned the guy in madison who shot the Llamba. and he said

"Thank you for your comments. It is the responsibility of every hunter to determine what they are shooting at, whether hunting deer, pheasant, turkey, bear, etc.. "

Yea.... That makes me feel real safe, Hey? Do you guys want to take your kids hunting out there???
Yes. I guess I never really thought that those that live and hunt in the CWD zones were not capable of hunting safely. Being from north of the problem I have hunted with rifles since I was a child. I guess we are just more capable of hunting safely than those down south if you have legitimate reason to be concerned for your safety. Although I have hunted the last couple years inCWD soneduring the extended season and never ran into that problem. I suppose that is mainly because I have not ran into many other hunters even though I hunt 80% of that time on public ground(I also see a hell of alot more deer than 5 per square mile). Or are you saying that hunters in these areas are less capable of hunting safely outside the normal 9 day season. Do you have stats to back up such off the wall thinking?( I only mean off the wall to those that come from areas were we are capable of hunting with children with rifles and during times outside November) I am no less capable of hunting safely in October or December than I am in November.

I am asking everybody who is concered about the future of hunting in Wisconsin to consider spending a few hours writeing the Govener, Radio stations, Newspapers, Hunting and politacal magazines. Send this link all over Wisconsin. I garruntee they are not going to stop expanding the zones unless we stop them. Together we can make a differance.
There are certainly valid argument to be made against the extended CWD hunt, but your post will not make a good "poster" for the fight. I can garruntee that Thanks though- I got a good chuckle out of it

Next year I will take a half dozen deer to try and help you out. If I help eliminate the deer the sooner they will stop allowing you dangerous hunters to hunt outside the 9 day gun season.

Stick to the real arguement please

Josh
Old 01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

The reason rifles were outlawed for deer hunting in S.E. Wisconsin was becuase of the large population of people and homes in the area. Leagleizing rifles and at the same time making it leagle to shoot any deer you see with absolutly no limet is insane.