Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mad at the Wisconsin DNR!!  (CWD) >

Mad at the Wisconsin DNR!! (CWD)

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mad at the Wisconsin DNR!! (CWD)

Old 12-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Mad at the Wisconsin DNR!! (CWD)

I am really getting P/O'ed at the DNR in Wisconsin useing CWD as an excuse for bad management, and bad safety.They are ruining the hunting in Southern Wisc. I started a board designed at exposeing whats wrong with there plan. If you are P/O'ed and hunt Wisconsin please stop by and sound off.
I started a plan to get the media to let the public know the facts. Each week everybody sends an email to this weeks "winner" who is a media spokesperson. I even made a form letter for those who don't have the time to write. Here is a link to the email the winner thread:
http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=842&postdays=0&postorder=a sc&start=0

Here is a link to the CWD sounding off board:
http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=35
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 AM
TJW

Default RE: Mad at the Wisconsin DNR!! (CWD)

Hey Bukmastr I Live Farm and hunt In the CWD Zone and I hear where you are coming from. But do understand what is is you are stateing I say pratice what you preach your doing alot of deer killing. Or is it managment? TJW
Old 12-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJW

Hey Bukmastr I Live Farm and hunt In the CWD Zone and I hear where you are coming from. But do understand what is is you are stateing I say pratice what you preach your doing alot of deer killing. Or is it managment? TJW
I am hunting on mostly public land and have limeted myself to mature bucks. I do not think guys should be able to kill every button buck they see, I do not think they should be able to shoot every 1 1/2 year old buck they see, and I don't think they should kill every doe they see to the point that the population gets down to the DNR's goal of 5 per square mile.
Shooting mature bucks IS practiceing what I preach. I would like to go back to one buck per person per gun season and bow season. I can sit on the couch and stair out the window at all the guys killing every thing in the swamp, or I can go hunt.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:30 PM
TJW

Hey bucmastr Did you or did you not shoot a doe to earn that Early TZone CWd Ten pt. We all Stayed out of the woods, so as not to push deer out to other hunters. During the regular 9 day season and after you dont need to earn A buck. So that is when we went out and Hunted the Big boys! You say you cant just sit their, but that is what we need to do to preserve our deer numbers. Until the DNR gets these crasy Ideas out of their heads. So if you want to be a leader in this movement to change the dnr start by changing your hunting pratices privet or public land makes no difference deer know no bounderies and yes privet or public they are still the publics deer. tjw
Old 12-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

You obviusly have different ideas of management than me. What we both need is to stop the DNR from ruining our herd. And your not helping the cause just going around trying to instigate fights with fellow hunters.
Go throw a rock through your neighbors window if you want to fight with someone so bad, us hunters need to stick together.
Anyone takeing mature bucks on public land is accomplishing a feat. However, with the new laws and regs, every button buck, and doe fawn,is getting killed that steps foot on the public land. And most of the 1 1/2 year old bucks. Shooting mature bucks is not cuaseing the problem.
I only saw one liveing 1 1/2 year old buck this season, and I also watched it get shot just after it went past me. Only the mature deer have been able to survive the month long season on the public ground. Next year there won't be any 2 1/2 year old bucks either, and the year after, 3 1/2 You are lucky enough to have your own land where you can make the rules. Where I hunt everything is getting slaughterd before it is even weened.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 PM
TJW

Im not trying to start a fight Im just saying part of the soulution is to not shoot Does. And I think you agree with me on this but yet you shot one. Hard to keep the deer herd going if everyone shoots Does. So go ahead and be P/O at the DNR they wont care as long as you keep shooting does.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Site Buck Guru

Im not trying to start a fight Im just saying part of the soulution is to not shoot Does. And I think you agree with me on this but yet you shot one. Hard to keep the deer herd going if everyone shoots Does. So go ahead and be P/O at the DNR they wont care as long as you keep shooting does.
I don't know where you hunt, but not shooting does is a problem not a solution. Most areas where I hunt, the buck/doe ratio is way out of balance. When it gets like this you won't see much rut activity because there are more does than the mature bucks can breed. Plus, a lot of the smaller bucks get to breed and I think it dilutes the gene pool. Our deer population keeps growing, it's almost doubled in the last 20 years. We don't need to stop shooting does to keep it going. We need to start shooting does and not shoot small bucks. The closer we can get the buck/doe ratio to 1/1, the better our herd and our hunting will be.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now see....it's stupid coments like this make me and other hunters really upset. Not shooting does!!!!. Come on man get with it!! Ill tell you what, you come hunt my land for one day and if you see a ratio lower than 48:5, Ill pay you to shoot a doe. Cause the doe to buck ratio on my land Opening morning of gun season was just that. 48 does to5 bucks. I shot the only buck I saw opening morning. A spike. Now thoes are not good odds at all for you monster buck hunters. In order to get better quality bucks, you HAVE to thin the doe heard. Too many does is not a good thing, I dont care what anyone says. Kill the does, reduce the heard, balance the ratio, better bucks in two to three years. Nextbow season, we are taking out as many does as we can legally, even if it means donating most of it to the food pantries and giving it away to friends who dont hunt any more. But this depends on theratio come next bow season.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Guys,
Its a little different in the public CWD areas. I too used to preach shoot does and let the young bucks go. But my population has been devistated by the heavy hunting pressure with absolutly no limets and a month long gun season. Yes, we need to shoot more does in most areas of the state.
The public marshs where I hunt had monster bucks every where a few years ago and a decent buck doe ratio. Now thanks to the wonderful DNR we can sit out there and just see cattails swaying in the breeze. I bowhunted every day of the early season, for nearlyone entire month, I did not see a single deer on the public land. I shot one doe on private land nearby to earn my T-Zone buck tag and shot the buck minutes later. I am only seeing a few mature animals, everything else is getting shot.
The DNR is trying to acheive 5 deer per square mile. We have about 30 hunters per square mile. They are the ones who screwed up the ratio's and herd in the 1st place. Now they are trying to fix bad management with worse management. How about not being so damn greedy and giveing 1 or two free doe tags to hunters who purchase a licence instead of trying to charge us for each deer we wish to harvest? We already paid for a licence to hunt, then they want us to pay them to manage there herd? Whats next, squirl & rabit tags at $5 each? I used to see booners on the public land every year, and pass on many Pope and youngs, now I would be happy to see one lousy 140 class.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bukmastr

Guys,
Its a little different in the public CWD areas. I too used to preach shoot does and let the young bucks go. But my population has been devistated by the heavy hunting pressure with absolutly no limets and a month long gun season. Yes, we need to shoot more does in most areas of the state.
The public marshs where I hunt had monster bucks every where a few years ago and a decent buck doe ratio. Now thanks to the wonderful DNR we can sit out there and just see cattails swaying in the breeze. I bowhunted every day of the early season, for nearlyone entire month, I did not see a single deer on the public land. I shot one doe on private land nearby to earn my T-Zone buck tag and shot the buck minutes later. I am only seeing a few mature animals, everything else is getting shot.
The DNR is trying to acheive 5 deer per square mile. We have about 30 hunters per square mile. They are the ones who screwed up the ratio's and herd in the 1st place. Now they are trying to fix bad management with worse management. How about not being so damn greedy and giveing 1 or two free doe tags to hunters who purchase a licence instead of trying to charge us for each deer we wish to harvest? We already paid for a licence to hunt, then they want us to pay them to manage there herd? Whats next, squirl & rabit tags at $5 each? I used to see booners on the public land every year, and pass on many Pope and youngs, now I would be happy to see one lousy 140 class.
I agree. We ned to get the DNR to realize exactly what it is that is really going on out there, theres no need for whats going on. Ive said that for years, if they want the deer shot offer 1-2 free bonus antlerless tags instead of charging 12.00 for them, and stop giving the damned TZONE tags away, not everyone lives or hunts near or in a tzone. its plain out STUPID. and they wonder why noone wants to pick up hunting as a hobby anymore.