Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 I Don't Care For This >

I Don't Care For This

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

I Don't Care For This

Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default I Don't Care For This

I don't like the Idea of someone (older hunter)from out of the area coming into my area
and shooting a spike horn that will never get the chance to develope into a larger Buck.
I had been seeing a spike horn and a small six point throughout the season(Public Land).
Well some men from downstate showed up the second week of the season.
I talked to them told them where I was hunting(saftey)I told them I had seen the spike and small six point.
They seemed nice enough.
Well I went out sat on my post,spike went by,Twenty min's later I heard a shot.
I came out after hunting to see them loading the spike into their truck.
The one Guy said it's getting late in the season.
Why the )T&#$&%^^(&% don't they stay where they came from and shoot their own spike's instead of letting our 's grow bigger.
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with young hunters taking a spike
or those young to the sport of hunting taking a spike.
But when someone comes into my area and shoot's a spike just because it's getting late in the season.
dog gone it take a doe for the meat.
By the way I took two doe's for meat.
Thank's for letting me vent,sorry if I ambled on toooooooo long
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Default RE: I Don't Care For This

I feel the same way. But there is a difference. I hunt private property and manage the deer I take out of there. You are hunting public property, so therefore it is not your area. Its everyone's area and the law states they can take that deer. Until you get your own land, you really cant do anything about it.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:37 PM

Man you saw somthing rare, downstate guys hunting second week, that dosnt happen that often.

I shoot deer for meet not for horns, I hunt MQT county were if you hunt with a gun you have to shoot a buck, no doe tages so I have to shoot small deer some times. I do my best with the bow but if things dont work out I will take a smaller buck.I wish I could trophy hunt and manage the deer so they could grow but on bublic land that is imposible.

I know some guys who do manage public land, ya want to know how they do it. They have some farm deer so these two guys haveaccess to tranquilizers, this is no bull. These guys go outin the summer and trank small bucks and cut theirantlers off. I have seen it with my own two eyes. I guees that would be the most affective wayto make sure those deer make it another year.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Luckily, I've seen a TALL 4pt all season...thinking come firearm...he'd be dead. Well, we keep seeing him...so in a year or two..he might be worth a shot. I'm happy the guys in my area hold off for nice deer.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Public property you are screwed by that, but that is why I enjoy the QDM where we hunt up in the U.P. It solves them problems!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

i agree with you on this. i almost got a shot at a small buck with my bow i am 16 so it would have been my first buck. he wasnt very big but we was limping badly but he stayed just out of the range of my bow so i couldnt shoot him.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

More tears over this stuff AGAIN? It is perfectly legal to take that deer. You cannot expect others to play by "your rules".

Maybe you should be happy for him.

Maybe it will feed his family some healthy meat they might not have otherwise had on the table.

Maybe it was his first deer (a 39 yr. old guy in our camp just got his first).

Some folks try to take out all the spikes and forks. Not everyone holds themselves to trophy standards and if we all did - we'd be hurting.

And as for having private land and thinking it solves all these kinds of issues, I think that's crazy. Unless you have a high fenced property, the little spikes or forkers you insist on letting walk just might "grow up" and become a monster buck. But who's to say it's gonna buy a house and live exclusively on your property?

If you feel they betrayed you somehow after you told them what you've seen - then don't be as forthcoming with info in the future. "Aw, I ain't seen nothing to speak of....."

Another round of tissues please.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

I gusse I forgot to mention this guy has forty acre's downstate where he live's.
He said he hunt's and see's small buck's and doe's on his place.
So why come up here and shoot our young buck's.
As far as meat wise We need doe's harvested more than anything,To get the deer herd balanced.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Bartender

Once a spike always a spike? I thought I read somewhere that this is usually the case except
in rare instances.

Peak

Live and learn
Old 12-04-2005, 04:12 AM

I think you should hunt however you want and don't worry so much about what anyone else does!

Quick Reply: I Don't Care For This

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.