Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 I Don't Care For This >

I Don't Care For This

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

I Don't Care For This

Old 12-04-2005, 11:54 AM

Default RE: I Don't Care For This

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

More tears over this stuff AGAIN? It is perfectly legal to take that deer. You cannot expect others to play by "your rules".

Maybe you should be happy for him.

Maybe it will feed his family some healthy meat they might not have otherwise had on the table.

Maybe it was his first deer (a 39 yr. old guy in our camp just got his first).

Some folks try to take out all the spikes and forks. Not everyone holds themselves to trophy standards and if we all did - we'd be hurting.

And as for having private land and thinking it solves all these kinds of issues, I think that's crazy. Unless you have a high fenced property, the little spikes or forkers you insist on letting walk just might "grow up" and become a monster buck. But who's to say it's gonna buy a house and live exclusively on your property?

If you feel they betrayed you somehow after you told them what you've seen - then don't be as forthcoming with info in the future. "Aw, I ain't seen nothing to speak of....."

Another round of tissues please.
i couldn't agree more
Old 12-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CambyGSP

I think you should hunt however you want and don't worry so much about what anyone else does!
I agree with Camby , but then he and I usually do .
Welcome Camby , it sure took you long enough .
Old 12-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have a problem with whoever shooting a spike,I do prefer young hunter's do so or those who have not shot a buck before.
My biggest problem with this is.
The guy has his own private land where He does'nt shoot small buck's yet goes away from his place and shoot's small buck's.
I have a suggestion where you can put your box of kleenex. Matt
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 AM

I have hunted other game for some years now. This will be my first year Deer hunting.

That being said. I agree with the original poster in theroy. If in the state you are hunting it is legal to take does it is such for a reason. If you want to take a large buck and that is what you want to hunt for go for it. If you just want a deer to have the meat take a doe if it is legal. Letting young bucks mature doesn't hurt any and will leave them for another day. This is no Differant than going fishing for pan fish and releaseing the small ones and only keeping the larger ones.

now I also agree that on public land you are pretty much helpless execpt for complaining about it and I don't have a problem with someone venting a little bit.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: CambyGSP

I think you should hunt however you want and don't worry so much about what anyone else does!
I agree with Camby , but then he and I usually do .
Welcome Camby , it sure took you long enough .
Hey Kevin

waaassssuuuupppp...............

Man!, You have been busy over here...9000+ posts! WTG!

I think I am gonna like it here, I can see already, more crybabies to pick on
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: 9th tine

I gusse I forgot to mention this guy has forty acre's downstate where he live's.
He said he hunt's and see's small buck's and doe's on his place.
So why come up here and shoot our young buck's.
As far as meat wise We need doe's harvested more than anything,To get the deer herd balanced.
He is letting the deer on his land grow up. smart guy, if you don't have big deer in your area and want them then give them a few years. maybe he strickly bow hunts his land? A lot of people don't gun hunt where they bow hunt. Hunting public land does suck!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

We all need to appreciate the truth presented in this thread...on both sides of the question.

One can argue that all hunters should progress and eventually kill only does for meat and let the bucks grow.

One can also argue that each individual has the right to choose for himself as long as he or she fully obeys the law.

The same thing happens with fishing. Why do people kill large gamefish to eat when the lake is bursting with panfish? But if its legal...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM

Maybe you and other fellow hunters should voice your opinions about this to the state. I don't mean complain to them about people shooting small deer, I mean talk with them about different ways to solve your herd imbalance. In missouri, Starting last year you had to count at least 4 points 1 inch or longer on one side of his antlers before you could take him. This has worked really well but this years deer have been hard to find. This will greatly shift hunting preassure of small buck to does. During the firearms season we take many deer in missouri, over 205,000 during 10 days of hunting and the majority are does.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

One mans trash is another man's trophy.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

For one, YOU screwed up, I dont care if your hunting private or public property, you never tell anyone where youre hunting or what your seeing when youre hunting. If someone from out of town asked where the best place is to hunt tell them you dont know and that you hunt private land, if they ask where that land is tell them you can not give out that information because you would be in breach of contract with the land owner.

Quick Reply: I Don't Care For This

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.