Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Westport, IN - Hunter shot and killed >

Westport, IN - Hunter shot and killed

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Westport, IN - Hunter shot and killed

Old 12-02-2005, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Westport, IN - Hunter shot and killed

That is sad and my heart and prayers go out to the family of the hunter. I am 15 years old and I am so scared of something happening at the woods I almost don't go. But, that is why you should always care about your safety first. You come before the freakin deer for God's sake. I mean come on. I wear my orange all the time. Even in the tree stand. I really don't care if the deer see me, as long as I feel safe, and I do. Once again I mourn the family's great loss. Very sad, I don't know what would happen if something like that happend to me, my dad, my cousin, or my unlce (we hunt together). But going hunting is a risk on it's own without weapons, you have to worry about not tripping on something in the woods and landing on a broken off tree or falling face first on glass. We are some of the bravest people out there as far as I am concerned. It takes guts to go hunting...at least I think it does.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm more at risk of getting killed at work than I am hunting. Just hunt around people with common sense..and don't fear the unkown. Hunting is what you make it.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Huntin Girl

Count me in with the "I don't see how that could happen" group.... HOW in the WORLD can you shoot at a PERSON and think it is a deer!? I just don't understand it. Maybe they had a different kind of tutor than I did (hubby), but I was taught early by my husband to identify the target first and foremost!!! Hunter orange or not, it would have to be pretty darn dark to mistake a person for a deer...
Ditto
Old 12-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a follow up story on this article.

<http://www.theindychannel.com/news/5...etail.html>

Man Cleared In Friend's Hunting Death Shooter Thought He Was Shooting Deer, Police Say POSTED: 7:34 am EST December 9, 2005

NORTH VERNON, Ind. -- Investigators say the shooting death of a Columbus hunter was accidental.

Beville said Michael was upset about the accident.Ronald Michael thought he was shooting a deer on Nov. 27, but instead shot and killed his friend, Gregory Saylor, 41. The men were hunting near the Decatur-Jennings county line about 50 miles south of Indianapolis.

Michael failed to properly identify his target, and Saylor's hunter's orange hat was in his pocket, said conservation officer Bill Beville, who investigated the shooting.

Beville found no evidence of foul play and said the men were best friends. The shooting was also investigated by a Jennings County sheriff's deputy. Reports from authorities and the coroner will be turned over to the Jennings County prosecutor.

"It's a horrible thing to have to live with," he said. "I hope for his sake he's got some people around so he can get some help."
Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always said to the woman if she steps out of line, hunting accidents happen all the time. Mean to say..even if it's a joke.

I hunt with 2 of my best friends. I couldn't even imagine how I'd feel if this happened to me. Jesus Christ that's horrible.