Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 ashland, WI area >

ashland, WI area

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ashland, WI area

Old 11-05-2005, 04:20 AM

Default ashland, WI area

Anybody here from or familar with the area? Just looking for any opinions on the hunting or anything else about the area. I see there is a lot of state and fed land in the area. I am seeking a new home and Ashland has made it on the short list. Any info would help. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:05 AM

Default RE: ashland, WI area

Better bear hunting then deer that far north. A beatiful part of our country. Very crowded in summer though. Peolpe from Chicago, Milwaukee and Twin Cities all have summer homes.There is a elk heard that will be open to hunting in a few years. It is very senic and bitter cold in winter with plenty of lake snow from the big Lake.

I know guys that deer hunt in Ashland and it is really tough. Snow can be a problem. A lot of forest to hide and the rough winters make these deer smaller then you would get 200 mile south by LaCrosse fo example.

Welcome to the Badger State
Old 11-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

check out www.superioroutfitters.com and see for yourself. Mike conducts the majority of his hunts in the immediate Ashland area.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Yes it can get a bit cold up here at times and there are years that the snow can really pile up. However there are also years like this where we have yet to see any snow or cold weather. As far as Ashland getting crowded in the summer, not the case, Ashland is on Chequamagon Bay, part of Lake Superior, so the water never really gets warm enough for much swimming type activity. There is though great Bass fishing in the bay and can provide for a lot of fun ice fishing. A little further south Hayward does have quite a few people who come up for the summer. As far as living in Ashland it could be great if you enjoy both hunting and fishing. The employment situation there is pretty poor, not much of any industry left and Walmart opened one of their stores there a while back which has really hammered the local business community. As far as hunting up here you are correct, lots of state and county land to hunt on and lots of deer. You really might want to consider a trip to Ashland in say, January or February to get a feel for what winter is all about up here as it can indeed get bitter cold.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the info. The weather doesn't bother me, it gets pretty cold here in the adirondacks. I'am gonna take a trip in spring to scout the various locations on my short list. Thanks again
Old 11-10-2005, 10:52 AM

What other places are on your short list? Just curious.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 PM

Rapid city, sd...mt. morris area of NY...Lexington, KY area. I am leaving in spring so I am on the short end. I plan on using my vacation to visit the places I have left. any other suggestions are welcome.