Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hunting in OHIO >

Hunting in OHIO

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting in OHIO

Old 10-21-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Hunting in OHIO

My brother and I aregoing to give Ohio a try the week of November 6, 2005.Staying in Vinton County (Lake Hope) and asking for any advice onsome areas to try.I have looked overmaps and considering some areas (Tar HollowState Park, WaterlooWildlifeArea in Athens County).
Old 10-21-2005, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Hunting in OHIO

If you're staying at Lake Hope you just gotta go to the Mead Paper Company area called "The Experimental Forest" or Raccoon Forrest. I've been hunting in and around that area for 35 years and it's one of the best places in all of Ohio.

From Lake Hope go south on RT-278 through Zaleski (Zaleski State Park is another very good place to hunt) and take RT-677 south out of Zaleski. When you get to US-50 turn right onto US-50 then immediately (about 1/8 to 1/4 mile) turn left onto Vinton Station Rd. Vinton Station Rd. runs dead in Dundas, Ohio (population 65). Turn left at the end of Vinton Station and go about3miles into the Mead Property. I know this sounds like it's a long way from Lake Hope but it's really only a twenty minute drive. Pretty good roads, too. Until you get into the woods, then it's all dirt and gravel. You could also stay on US-50 west into McArthur, Ohio (about two miles) and turn south on RT-93 to Dundas. Just ask anyone around there - the experimental forest is famous for big bucks and friendly people. If I remember correctly the Mead property back in there is more than 60,000 acres. All of it is open to hunters only and only during deer and turkey seasons.

Mead Paper Co. is one of the most "hunter friendly" companies in the country. They provide free camping areas for the hunters along thier logging roads and the loggers are all very friendly folks. Gun season gets a little crazy in there but I don't gun hunt so I think it's wonderful.

Give it a try - you'll like it, too. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:07 PM

Default RE: Hunting in OHIO

Elsie do you know rick falukner? I hunt with him in vinton county (mcaruther). He has the sawmill across from the airport. I have done some scouting on that mead property and seen some good buck sigin and a lot of deer sigin in general.