Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

deer hunting

Old 10-21-2005, 12:30 AM

Default deer hunting

need help been hunting in ohio for about 3 years now never seen a deer in the place i hunt,don't know any other places to hunt can some one help me get my first deer with a bow
Old 10-21-2005, 07:08 AM

Default RE: deer hunting

What part of OH are you hunting? Are you on Private or Public ground?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find some deer trails coming from bedding areas(thick,thick cover)going to fields or other food sources.Set up 30-50 yards from a heavily used trail and plan on sitting there MOTIONLESS until you get a chance to make the shot.I'm convinced that if you sat on the same stump everyday for the whole season you would eventually have something come by--sit all day if possible.Obviously what you have been trying isn't working so why not try some different?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you looked into any of the public properties around you ? You can use a topo map to locte smaller , less well known ones that you may end up having all to yourself .
Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are related to Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder? Three years and nothing.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:36 PM

I live in franklin county and i found some public land to hunt by my house but way to many people hunting there,tring to find some public land or private land to hunt with little or no huntting pressure
Old 10-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Have you the tried the state park up at Delaware off of US23 north? The park side is bow hunting only, Every year more then a few nice bucks are taken there, it can get crowded on weekends, but if you have access to a canoe you can boat up the lake to areas that are off the beaten path. There are maps available at the park officethat showthe hunting areas. good luck
Old 10-26-2005, 06:50 AM

I live in Handcock county and i work with a group of guys that go to Delaware state park every year for the first week of nov. They hunt the campground side and they only hunt monday to friday. They say during the week it is almost dead but on the weekends it is crazy. They say the cover is heavy down there and you just need to find one of the many trails and sit and wait. About half sit on the ground in full camo and the other half sit in climber stands. Most of them get deer every year. Surprises me that in franklin co youhavent seen a deer, I think most of the northern part of the county is an urban deer zone should be plenty. Get out before sunrise and dont move, if evening get out three hours before sunset and sit until its dark. Huntingon the ground is alot harder than hunting in a tree stand.