Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Pike Co. IL

Old 10-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Spike

Default Pike Co. IL

Hi,

I'm new to this site and thought I would post my hunt in Pike Co. IL the opening week of season. First I must say I'm very lucky to have a good friend who owns his own farm near Nebo. After reading some of the post on this site, it seems ground is very expensive and hard to come by in this area. Here goes the details of the hunt. I saw 15 differnet bucks on 40 acre block of ground over a 4 day period. It was the best hunt I have ever hadon such a small peice of land. Out of the 15 bucks I saw, three of those where what I consider shootes. Two where in the 130 to 140 range and the other a 150 class 10 pointer. I hadtwo opportunies at the 10 pointer and blew a 28 yard broadside shot the last dayof the hunt. Being from South Alabama I wasn't use to shooting at deer on the side of a steep hill. I placed my 30 yard pin on his vitals and released. The arrow missed it's mark by 4" over the top of his back. All in all, it was a great week. There were three other monster bucksseenin ourgroup.I'm heading back the first week of Nov. for another 8 days of hunting. Maybe this will be my lucky week.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pike Co. IL

Good luck next trip. Hope the area is not over hunted. Not hard to do on 40 acres.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 PM

hey man your not to far away from where i hunt. me and a buddy hunt right outside of perry. we hunt on about 1400 acres of quality farm ground. so far this year me and my buddy have got 2 quality bucks his on opening weekend and mine the 2nd weekend. his was a 170" 12pt and mine a 130" 9pt. still a bigger one running around, the farmer and other people have seen him around a few times. he's a big droptine buck.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Spike

LLBUX the area we are hunting consist of about 500 acres total. I spent most of my time in the 40 acre tract in my story. The property hasn't been hunted since the 8th of October. I'm hoping with the lack of hunting pressure I can slip back in my area on the 28th. I feel as though I will have another shot at the big 10 pointer or something bigger. I placed my new Wild Life Eye camera system in the area before leaving so I hope to have some good video of what's in the area.

Buckhunter17 congrats on your 130 class bow kill. I would be tickled with a 130 class bow kill. I have game camera pics in Bama of some 140 class deer on my lease. Killing one of them will be a major task due the thick cover. If you guys are interested in seeing the pics drop me an email at [email protected].

What is the rutting activity looking like? I read that the rutting moon will be late this year. In return this would put the peak rut around the second to thrid week of Nov. Does anyone buy into this rutting moon theory.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I always just do the 1st and 2nd week of November are always my favorite rut times, I haven't really noticed a whole lot of rut yet, but it will change quick, Buckhunter and I are fortunate to have killed those deer on their summer patterns, they both came out farely early. I am going back this next weekend to hunt and maybe prepare some stands for the upcoming rut. Nothing better than the Rut in Illinois.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:10 PM

I Hunt on my family farm between Perry and Griggsville. This is my first year bow hunting, and I choked on a shot aimed at a 150" 12 pointer.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM

choking is your best quality. Pike County is for farm boys who want to make a quick buck on weekend warriors. i wouldnt call you hunters.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Nobody would of heard of your silly county if it wasnt for a few big racks. Pound sand, your not the only dark color on the B&C map my friend.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 AM

There is so m uch negativity floating around here lately.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:17 AM

Don't be so negative just because you can't hunt there.

Quick Reply: Pike Co. IL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.