Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Is this consider baiting???IL hunters >

Is this consider baiting???IL hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Is this consider baiting???IL hunters

Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Is this consider baiting???IL hunters

i was wondering if it was consider baiting if i pick up acorns from the trees on the property we are hunitng and moving them to if front of my stand which is on the same property,,this had me really confused causei know you are not supposed to bait but since they came from the property and they are naturall there i do not consider it baiting,so i came here to see what yall think.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Default RE: Is this consider baiting???IL hunters

I am pretty sure that is baiting. It would be like me going out in our corn field, shucking some ears, and putting the corn by my stand. I put the food their. But, I'm not 100% sure.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

What you consider it to be can differ considerably from how a game warden views it . Are there oaks where your stand is located ? If not you'll have a very hard time convincing the GW that the acorns got there by themselves . Most states go by the rule of consumption , if the animal can get to it and eat it , and you put it there , then it's baiting regardless of what it is . Here the ground is still considered baited for 10 days after the removal of the item .

BTW , if there are oaks on the property then why not just move your stand closer to them ?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

technically yes, but I can't believe any warden would bust you for it. You might be more worried about the quality of the acorns. If squirrels and deer have left the acorns lie on the ground, they probably have a worn in them .... they can smell the difference in acorns and only pick the good ones.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

1sagittarius:
technically yes, but I can't believe any warden would bust you for it
I work with Conservation officers very regularly. This question seems to come up alot in the Q&A part of our hunter safety education classes - and most say they can & will enforce ANY baiting. Remember it's considered baited even 10n days after the bait is removed or consumed. Also there was emergency legislation enactd to help control CWD which states ANY feeding of wildlife that results in food not being consumed entirely at the time of feeding is illegal. (No piles of food). Designed to allow people to throw food to birds, squirrels and such. But they don't want piles where deer could possibly transfer fluids my mouth/nose.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

1sagitarius:
If squirrels and deer have left the acorns lie on the ground, they probably have a worn in them .... they can smell the difference in acorns and only pick the good ones.
Sharp fella - you are entirely correct. It's amazing how many times I've heard, "Oh man I got this stand set at these oaks and the ground is 3 feet thick with acorns! This is gonna be like shooting fish in a barrel."

Then later, "I don't get it. All those piles and piles of acorns and I never saw a deer."

Old 10-19-2005, 04:32 PM

i thought about doing the same thing this year. but i thought about the baiting law too. i would say it is, but like someone said, i can't believe they would bust you for it.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that is still baiting in the great state of IL
Old 10-20-2005, 10:15 PM

not exactly,but with in 50 or 60 yards of my stand maybe a little more but no more than 100 yard,,i would move my stand but i am on a field edge where there have been many deer pass though the area,,also my dad has his stand in a round them so movin into them would put me pretty close to his stand,,as for them not being good,that i do not know but it would be hard to fill a 1gal icecream bucket,either cause the deer and squirrels is eatin them or cause the tree aint producing very many,