Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Vang found guilty in WI deer hunt slayings >

Vang found guilty in WI deer hunt slayings

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Vang found guilty in WI deer hunt slayings

Old 09-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Spike

Default Vang found guilty in WI deer hunt slayings

http://kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=107407

Sounds like the jury took 3-4 hours to come back with a verdict. Ironic howhe is found guilty the day before our bow season opens. I don't think too many people were surprised at the outcome.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:17 AM

Default RE: Vang found guilty in WI deer hunt slayings

Thanks for the update that is great to hear. I would still love to know how something is self defence when you shoot them on the back.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:17 AM

Too many people wanting to hunt a finite amount of land. More ethnic groups living in more areas. Cultural clashes. Anger. Sadness.

No doubt he was completely guilty.

Just hope we don't see more of this type of thing in our "changed" hunting world.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Spike

As a side note, we were hunting in Sawyer county that weekend. Probably 30 miles away from the incident. We were heading back homeSunday afternoon settling in for the 3 hour ride. When we hit the county line, we noticed policeofficers set up next to the highway. Ironically, I had a bear bait right there. They were parked where I park my truck. Proceeding down the highway, several ambulances passed us and we saw a helicopter in the sky. You just sensed something was seriously wrong. Upon arriving home, my sister-in-law called me to inform me what had happened up there.Gotta admit, it gave me a spooky feeling.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:35 AM

its a hell of a thing. i was in mississippi last year when all this went down. i guess i didnt know all the facts but claiming self defense with people shot in the back multiple times sure made me wonder. playing the race card all the times seems a little bs too
Old 09-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I was not surprised at the outcome of the trial. I agree with the verdict full hearted. The way the defence played out Vang's side of the incident was the only choice they had. It just was not something that the Wisconsin jurors would consider a valid defence. Just the fact that it only took them three hours to deliberate tends to show how strong the prosecution's case was. Normally something like this could have taken days to reach a unanimous verdict.

The thing we need to remember is this kind of thing could happen anywhere, and not just in Northern Wisconsin. More and more people of all races and origins are getting into the sport of hunting. In the future, we will encounter more often, someone of a different ethnic background and perhaps frame of mind as to property ownership as us, when we use our outdoor resources. Always consider the type of person you are dealing with, and frame your comments and judgements wisely. When you confront anyone in the woods hunting remember, they are armed as well. Also they are at a disadvantage (as in this case) because they usually are aware they are breaking the law. Trespass does not seem like areason to considerviolence, but some people's fear of the law is to them major reason to escape, and any avenue to do so will be considered by some.

Whether racial comments were used in regards to Vang or not is no longer an issue. I have little doubt Vang was indeed in fear of his safety. That many people catching you on private property, and especially with the feelings towards Asians held by some would be a reason on Vang's part to be very concerned. Still violence by him was not the answer. Justice was served.

A new twist to the members of the forum on this topic.. a What if.. What if Vang had gotten out of the tree, cooperated with all their requests, apologized for the trespass and while attempting to walk away was physically restrained and even brutally beaten up for his crime of trespassing from the land owner and friends. Would you feel it correct for the law to then pursue criminal charges of assault against the land owner and friends? The reason I ask this is because we were discussing this topic just yesterday and we came at it from this angle... What do you think?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

A new twist to the members of the forum on this topic.. a What if.. What if Vang had gotten out of the tree, cooperated with all their requests, apologized for the trespass and while attempting to walk away was physically restrained and even brutally beaten up for his crime of trespassing from the land owner and friends. Would you feel it correct for the law to then pursue criminal charges of assault against the land owner and friends? The reason I ask this is because we were discussing this topic just yesterday and we came at it from this angle... What do you think?
Yes they should be. You should never take the law into your own hands. If I see someone on your land this year I will first ask them to leave and if they do not I will walk awayand thencall the local police and have them removed. That way they do not see me calling and I have a officer there when I go back.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Cayugad,

I have been a Sheriff's Deputy for 27 years and you truely have more common sence that 99% percent of people I have delt with during hunting season.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Very good anology Cayugad!
Old 09-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion...just my opinion.

I don't doubt for 1 minute that these people were yelling any slurs at this man. I know I have caught trespassers on my land, and I know I spouted more things than I should have. Tempers flare and people start saying stuff. Also, I don't know 100% that the victims fired first. But if they did, as Vang says they did. I highly doubt they were fireing at him. It was more than likely a shot into the air just to say get the heck out. I would highly doubt the shot was at him.

And just to put myself in his shoes for a moment. If I just killed the first 2 people, and I know their buddies are coming, and I know they will be ready to take matters into their own hands...I can't say that I would know what I would do in that situation.

Please don't get me wrong as if I am on his side, because there is nothing right in what he did. He deserves any punishment they hand out. And I doubt that the punishment will fit the crime. That is just my opinion on todays judicial system. We will sentence you to death but you get to sit in prison for 10 years first. BS I don't know what Wisconsins law is regarding the death penalty...maybe they don't even have a death penalty.

Quick Reply: Vang found guilty in WI deer hunt slayings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.