Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Anyone around Springfield, MO need a hunting buddy? >

Anyone around Springfield, MO need a hunting buddy?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Anyone around Springfield, MO need a hunting buddy?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone around Springfield, MO need a hunting buddy?

My wife and I are moving to Missouri in the next few weeks. We're going to attend school full-time and work part-time. Thing is...I'm not going to get to hunt Arkansas much this fall but I'd still like to hunt. I think I could probably muster up $120 for the non-resident archery permit.

The other thing is...I have no clue as to where to go in Missouri. I'd also like to meet up with someone to hunt with. I don't know anyone up there who hunts or who would be of much help to me.

If there's no one here, I guess that's understandable. If you have any helpful info for me...it'd be greaty appreciated.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone around Springfield, MO need a hunting buddy?

Love to hunt with ya butI'm a little farther north, around the Whiteman Airforce Base area. However your area is great hunting also. The Mark Twain National Forest is a great start. and thats were I would start. Also there should be lots of Corp. ground down around the lakes. Thats all public. I know guy who owns and operates a Marina on Trueman and he bags a hugh turkey every year on opening day. Deer are also abundunt down there. Some of the isolated area's around those lakes are only reachable by boat so the wildlife doesn't get pressured much, good luck! and wellcome to MO. It's a great place to hunt, and fish.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 AM

Id also love to get together to hunt with ya, but Im about 2 hours away from Springfield. You could try to find a local archery shop, they may be able to give you some ideas as to where to try, I know there are some pieces of public ground around there and the Branson area, Good luck!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:42 AM

www.missouriconservation.org

Go there, and click on atlas. From there, you can pull up all conservation ground in any county. There are a lot of huge tracts of land down in that area. Mark Twain is a great spot, just a little rugged. I would suggest researching a few different areas, and then go to www.mytopo.com and either order a topo or view it. I do some hunting down in the Salem area, about..........oh....say 2 hours north of you. You are still in the Ozarks there, and it makes for some awesome deer hunting. I'll do some looking and see if we can find some public land for ya! Oh, another helpful tool, get the Delorme Gazeteer for MO. I use this thing all the time. For 20 bucks, you can't go wrong.Have to see how the schedule goes, we could possibly hook up a weekend.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:57 PM

I am about an hour south and west of you in Joplin. There is quite a bit of public land up around Springfield, not much down here in my county. I have to drive north 45 minutes and there is some real nice public land in Barton and Vernon counties. If you are going to be in Springfield by next weekend you should go to the Bass Pro Fall hunting classic. It is a lot of fun. You can get to a lot of public land all directions in probably under 45 minutes. I will say this the more north you go the bigger the deer get and more of them.