Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

1st trip to the wabash

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st trip to the wabash

Went over to the wabash river this morning around 10 for the first outing there. It is so amaizing how much that river changes from year to year. Most of the old log jams from last year are gone. A couple of new ones but a lot less structure for this year. Did make it over to one of the best Eddy's. The gar were rolling but boy you had to be quick and ready. I connected on two pretty nice ones. Fortuantly for Kyle the wabash where i shoot is in Indiana, for one of the long nose gar was 37 1/2 inches. Also landed a 14 pound grassie. Had one silver grace the boat by jumping in sliding acorss the middle seat and right back out. Loaded up at noon. on the bright side from now on it just gets better.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

3rd trip to the wabash this year today with buddy Jake Harms. He shot a pretty nice lone nose gar at 44 inches and just over 10 pounds. We also boated two big heads. I shot a double but one pulled off on the way in. He shot a nice 16# right by the ramp that is the nicest one so far for us on the river. We got one common, which is uncommon. Shoot very few commons there. Boated 7 nice grassies the largest was 19 pounds. Seen a bunch of them and a few silvers. River is getting pretty clear for the wabash and is dropping. It will only get better. unless all this heat drives them down. On another good side did not break or loose any thing. did get pretty hot tho.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like fun. I've never been on the wabash, but I have some data from there. Those are the fattest bigheads around, now, because they have not been there as long and there is less competition from the silvers and the numbers of fish. They are growing fast.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it was a fun day. There are a few big heads, and I think a few more silvers. There is no competition for food yet and they are pretty fat. This far north there are just no big numbers yet. We found a large school of 30-40 but they were all small in the 5 pound range. There are a lot more nice grassies to be had at this time. The wabash river right now is my favorite place to shoot. There are all the species and good size and no competition. I have yet to see another boat. This time of the year the scum is piling up on structure and the fish swim up under it and become' real scum suckers'. If you cant see them you sure can hear them. Just aim just under any disturebance to be seen and let'er go.