Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Carlyle Dam 5/26/10

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carlyle Dam 5/26/10

My cousin Marty from St. Louis hit the spill way below carlyle dam today. He called me to let me know that he has never seen as many fish ever at one time. Said that they were just everywhere. He was by his self and shot 26 in a few hours with the largest being 26#12 oz. If you have ever shot big heads that is work by your self. Shoot, fight, boat, wack in the head ( not allowed to have a live big head in the boat) and on to the next one. So any one interested sounds like it should be pretty good this weekend. Although will be a pretty busy one and if you do go out please be courtous to our pole and line fishermen. Do not want to make any enemys...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Spike

we shot 43 this evening, the biggest one was over 50 lbs because it maxed out our 50 lb scale. We guessed to about 600 or so lbs of fish that we shot. Buffalo and Gar are really startgint to come up there. This is the 3rd day in a row we have been killing them, so now is the time to get down there and shoot em i dont know how long it will stay like this
Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Holy moly! Congrats.

Send me some pics! BTW, Duane Chapman (carptracker), our favorite USGS biologist is collecting samples and info on bighead carp over 40lbs. (aging them and whatnot) I can give you the info on what measurements to get and the little bone to save. (easy to get and save)
Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HNI_Christine
Holy moly! Congrats.

Send me some pics! BTW, Duane Chapman (carptracker), our favorite USGS biologist is collecting samples and info on bighead carp over 40lbs. (aging them and whatnot) I can give you the info on what measurements to get and the little bone to save. (easy to get and save)
You guys need to get down here ASAP. Today they was in schools of 20-30 we got tired of pulling them off of our arrows and there is alot of buffalo up too, just not big, Chrsitine, get me those measurements and what i need to get off the fish and ill see what i can do for Duane.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If only I hadn't had this hip surgery thing I'd be there in a heartbeat. Johnny I'll have to hook up with your cousin Marty one of these days. I'm hoping to be back on the water in a few weeks and don't want to go by myself just yet.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here you go dead!

"I'd like aging structures off anything over 40 pounds for a bighead and over 25 pounds for a silver. That would be really great. If you catch one, I'd want scales and a bone called the postcleithrum. I can send a Standard Operating Procedure with pictures as to how to pull this bone out. It is easy to do - just need a short pocketknife and you can do it in seconds. A pair of needlenose helps, but you can do it without them. Actually, the best bone in a really big fish might be the vertebrae up by the head, but those are a lot of work to pull out.
http://www.illinoisbowfishers.com/pcremoval.pdf

Total Length (measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the lower lobe of the tail, tail straightened out behind the fish), and weight. Fork length (measured from tip of the nose to the fork of the tail) is also nice to have, especially if the tail is messed up or deformed.

General location, however you can give it. GPS coordinates, river mile, county, whatever.
"

Take scales from the middle of the fish somewhere between the dorsal fin and the lateral line. Take several. They can be left to dry and then put into an envelope.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

..oops.. logged in as Carpsniper.

-Christine
Old 05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim, Give Marty a call he lives a lot closer and is always looking for a partner. Yesterday, he got a guy who was bank fishing to go out with him. The guy did not want to shoot any but was trilled Just to gaff them.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info Christine! Hopefully we get another 40lb+ here before to long. I think we are gonna leave the bows at home and take fishing poles out tomorow. We finally got a platform and lights and we are planning on mounting the lights to the platform tomorow evening and going out that night. Ill give you guys another report on saturday evening

-Travis
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

just got in from the spillway here in carlyle...shot 5big heads and 1 gar...i had 3 pull off my arrow and my buddy hada few pull off..our biggest was 20lbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.