HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Carlyle Dam 5/26/10
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
carpsniper
Nontypical Buck

Here you go dead!

"I'd like aging structures off anything over 40 pounds for a bighead and over 25 pounds for a silver. That would be really great. If you catch one, I'd want scales and a bone called the postcleithrum. I can send a Standard Operating Procedure with pictures as to how to pull this bone out. It is easy to do - just need a short pocketknife and you can do it in seconds. A pair of needlenose helps, but you can do it without them. Actually, the best bone in a really big fish might be the vertebrae up by the head, but those are a lot of work to pull out.
http://www.illinoisbowfishers.com/pcremoval.pdf

Total Length (measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the lower lobe of the tail, tail straightened out behind the fish), and weight. Fork length (measured from tip of the nose to the fork of the tail) is also nice to have, especially if the tail is messed up or deformed.

General location, however you can give it. GPS coordinates, river mile, county, whatever.
"

Take scales from the middle of the fish somewhere between the dorsal fin and the lateral line. Take several. They can be left to dry and then put into an envelope.