Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

WILD WEEKEND!!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default WILD WEEKEND!!!!!

What a weekend.. My cabin is right next to a levee on the Mississippi River, so I went up friday morning and started helping with sand baggin duty, then got moved to bobcat duty laying down plastic. I did however get in some great bowfishing also, tons of big fish, if only I could of hit more then 10% of them, I did get some real nice grassies,bigheads, carp and buffalo, alot of small gar and a 10# bowfin..I also peeked the interest of a lot of National Guard Guys and Gals, they watched me miss a 40# plus grassie at 5 yards..OUCH..then on the next shot hit a pencil gar, go figure!!!
I had alot of mechanical malfunctions..New Muzzy reel broke, lost lots of arrows and had a new arrow malfunction, pics included..

1. I had a new muzzy reel break off at the reel seat??
2. I had a brand new sting a ree arrow loose half its tip on a bighead??
3. my line kept getting caught up inside the reel and breaking the line and loosing arrows??

Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WILD WEEKEND!!!!!

pics

Old 06-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

pics

Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Pics of the reel after I stuck and fought a big grassie, I got lucky and when it broke off it wrapped around the bridge gaurd rail we were on and I got the reel but the line broke and lost fish and arrow..

Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Bummer about all the technical difficulties. Sounds like you had some good shootin' tho'.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

you wouldt have that reel problem if you had a retriever just kiddin at least ya got some fish and had some good company
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like some nice fish. A friend of yours was at the boat shop the other day talking to my father. He was telling him about the big head spot above 26. Sounds like something we will have to try when the ramp is accessible.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: HunterOpel

3. my line kept getting caught up inside the reel and breaking the line and loosing arrows??
ME TOO! man, at first I thought I was forgetting to push the button, but four arrows later I am CERTAIN it isnt the button pushing. My line is reeling into itself on the spool if that makes sense, makes it hard for the line to freely spool out and when pulled on by a speeding arrow, the line snaps away from the arrow and it goes skipping across the water. very frustrating. I am to the point of getting a Thumper reel just to see if it will solve my issues. I LOVE fighting fish on the reel setup, but heck, if I cant keep from loosing arrows left and right Ill be switching back to my bottle retriever.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

TEmbry, Here are a couple of tips. First with all reels the spool has to be full. Second pull out all the line. Attach the end to something strong. I use my bench Vice. Walk off all the line to the very end. Start winding it in as tite as you can. This will keep the line from pulling down inside the line under it. But it sounds to me like you do not have enough line on the spool. If you look at the spool and the little hole in the cap. That is a lot of resistance of heavy line to go up over the spool take a 90 degree turn to get out the hole in the cap. I have a thumper reel and really like it, but it too has to be full all the time. Also you can never shoot a reel with out pushing the button. As when you go to draw it will pull the arrow off the string EVERYTIME. Just ask my son-in-law he forgets to push the button about half the time. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I have sent muzzy 3 emails regarding there reel, it was 1 day old and broke, you think they would fix it.. At least e-mail me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: WILD WEEKEND!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.