Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Bighead at DCA

Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bighead at DCA

Got out yesterday (5/31/08) with three newbies at the DCA and didn't get one shot. But, I did see a a bighead carp - first time I've seen oneat the DCA. It wasslowly filter feeding under the surface of the water about 20 yards from shore.

My son and his friend had fun shooting at frogs and water snakes - the snakes were everywhere. They shot two.

To top things off, Ipicked up my annual case of poison ivy.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bighead at DCA

That would have been fun to shoot, huh? Imagine the fight. Where was he at. I was planning out going out there tonite after work.
Might launch from the marina and shoot the pool by lot #2.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are in there, just not in big visible numbers yet.
If you see a bighead or silver anywhere up past Starved Rock, try whatever you can to bring them in.Our friends at the federal level are looking for sample fish to test. Put them on a stringer or rope to insure they don't escape, and get them on ice ASAP. With recent cuts in manpower and funding, any help we can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you guys get any. Also, record the exact location, weather conditions (air temp, wind, sun), water temp, and get a water sample if possible. Very few have been caught this far upstream, and the biologists want to learn how Asians on the edge of the current population area may differ in subtle ways from those in areas where they have well established populations.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Suckersticker: I saw the bighead justsoutheastof the bridge at the Three Rivers Marina. Sounds like you are heading tothat area tonight. A shore fisherman told me he had seen some giant grass carp in that area too. Good Luck, and take pictures.

Bulzeye: thanks for the information - I'll try to remember to collect all that data!