Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Sangchris

Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sangchris

Sangchris opens May 1st. Anyone going there opening day?? That lake use to be my favorite Lake till about July 4 when the lilly pads get so bad youcan't get around most of the shoreline. I really liked the water clarity, sometimes you could see down to about 4 feet. No sailboats, no jet skis, 25 hp limit, great campground and showers. Sangchris has about 2200 acres and 120 miles of shoreline. Lots and lots of coves. Lots of carp but no gar. Sangcrhis is located between Springfield and Taylorville. Nice place to shoot lots of carp if that is what you want to shoot.

Bowfisher
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sangchris

Yea, it's a shame about the 25 hp rule, can't put the Triton with its moderate 50 hp on it, and it's too big a lake to use a troller only. It should be a law that if you do have greater than a 25 hp, that it would be fair to run if only no wake. I have to believe you do less damage that way than a 20 hp opened full bore. Oh well lots of little carp there, so many I swear they're stunted.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Spike

Yeah, I plan to get out there on Tuesday, I've been waiting on this day since last Aug. It'll be more fun than a deer opener. [8D] Being as it's a work day, I'll probably just head over after work and hit the shore. My bass fishing buddies tell me the carp are really working the shallows. For sure there are lots of fish and tho most are in the 2-5 lb range, I've shot a few that were well over 2 ft and have seen bigger. Saturday is already booked for me, but I hope to get the boat out on Sunday and get into some of the coves.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Spike

I posted this in another spot, but thought I'd add it here, too.

Finally made it out to Sangchris today for a few hours midday. Wind was pretty bad so I left the boat at home and just waded the shoreline. Saw lots of commons and shot about ten, not counting the pulloffs. Not much size to them, biggest was about 6#. I wish I had taken some chum with me.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of carp and they were working the shallows, lots of them with their backs showing. Great for a wader, but boat shooters could have flat wore themselves out today. Even when the wind is blowing, the many coves and bays make it pretty easy to find sheltered areas with smooth water.

Come on over, guys/gals, the fishing is great!

Rick
Old 05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rick, I hope to soon.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

I was walking the shore at Sanchri today. shot 6-5 lbders. Know any accessible places from the shore? Any big fish there? Anyone bowfish Lake Springfield? I just started bowfishing this year, would like to meet some of you and get some advice.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

David,
Just a quick word on lake Springfield. On page 23 of the Illinois Fishing regulations you will see that you cannot bowfish there. Welcome to our bowfishing world. The best thing you can get is a current fishing regulations. You will find that there are a whole lot of lakes that are off limits to us. It is pure ignorance as to our safety record.
Where do you live? I'm sure we can find some one to get you hooked up with. Most of us or out most weekends.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Spike

Acutally it is legal to bowfish Lake Springfield. The lake regulations state:

"In most cases, fish and other aquatic life may be caught using only a hook attached to a single line. The exception to this is that pitchforks, underwater spear guns, bows and arrows (or a bow and arrow device), spear or gig are also permitted for the capture of carp, buffalo, suckers, gar and bowfin."

This info is located at: http://www.cwlp.com/Lake_Springfield/Water_sports/fishing.htm#Fishing%20Rules:

I'm definately going to bowfish out there, but I'll make sure I have a copy of that with me.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, Dukmn is correct.

It's one of those one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

I do think the bowfishing is limited to day-time only. And definitely carry a copy of the Springfield website rules.

We are trying to get thatbowfishing exceptionclarified in the fishing regulations.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Spike

Actually it should be legal to bowfish at night.

"Using artificial light to catch fish and other aquatic life is prohibited."

What I understand is that means attractant lights, we are onlyusing lights to see the fish, not attract them.
I did call CWLP to verify that last year and that is what they told me. I should have got it in writing though.

Quick Reply: Sangchris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.