Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake? >

Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

Old 07-12-2006, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

This may be something that IFOR can help with.

As an affiliate this organization has every right to bring this issue to the IFOR BOD's attention and ask for support.

The next meeting is 07-23-06.

As a member of this org & IFOR I'd be glad to take any issues or event information to the meeting.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Geoff!!

Thanks, we appreciate it! We have this lake and another issue way may need some support with.

I knew there was a reason I belong to IFOR.

www.if-or.org
Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM

It's probably best to put the issue on "paper" and describe what needs to be done.

Some of these issues can be resolved with a couple phone calls to the right people who can get things done without all the red tape.

Sometimes it gets a little more complicated where the issue needs to go to a governing body and takes some time. That's where support from the DNR and state organizations come in.

A letter fromFisheries and 5 state organizational presidents carries alot of weight regarding conservation issues. I'm sure many individual letters of support would be sent in also.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Spike

Everyone,

I just wanted to post up and let you know I appreciate everything and am not letting this go. At this moment I am waiting for verification from the Lakes and Parks guy as his comments were passed to me thorugh the grapevine. Once I know he is supporting this issue, I will be asking for the help allready offered.

Geoff, I will be in touch prior to the meeting. THe main issue is the lake is listed as 2 pole and line fishing only, it is a 500 acre lake I believe. The best reason I had given to me for not changing this or trying to change this is that its just for "one guy" and public opinion will strongly oppose it. I don't know a lot of bowfisherman in my immediate area, but we are not far from a lot of bowfisherman on this forum that would be happy to take part at a new spot imo.

I will keep you all updated.

Thanks,

CS
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Spike

Hey guys, I spoke personally over the weekend with the parks and lakes guy. He did check with the biologists for me, and he reported that (summarized) the bass population at the lake is so good they do not want to screw with any of the biology on the lake right now. He didnt' necessarily rule it out in the future if the carp become a problem but for now it is a no go.

He did offer me permission to bowfish another city lake, however its another problem. It is inside city limits and our city has an ordinance against discharging a bow inside city limits.

back to square one...travelling to bowfish.

I greatly appreciate everyone's support on this thread and pm's phone calls etc.

later,

CS
Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Grizz,

Sorry to hear about the turnout. We'll postpone the party until the carp do their thing a bit more noticably.

In the meantime, you got any creeks or streams in your area that meanderoutside city lines where only the county and state have jurisdiction? If the lakes have carp, so do their feeder creeks and outflows. Also, if you have any farmland in the area that share the creeks, you might ask permission to access it there too, as long as the property is not inside the city limits.

Good luck.