Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 couple more newbie questions...no glove install? >

couple more newbie questions...no glove install?

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

couple more newbie questions...no glove install?

Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default couple more newbie questions...no glove install?

The info has been great so far, and if the weather holds out and the baby cooperates, I am gonna try and shoot my first fish tomorrow.

1. I had a couple questions, I ordered a set of no-gloves, that should be on my doorstep as I type, how do they install on the string? I have a compound bow, so will I need to take the string down to put em on?

2. If by some miracle I do tie into a big fish, what pointers are there? I.E. for a drum style reel and fighting by hand? I really don't see any posts about actually fighting the fish.

Thanks again,

CS
Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: couple more newbie questions...no glove install?

The Nogluvs install by slipping over the end of the string, which does require that the string be taken off the bow. I put an unfolded paper clip through the loop on the end of the string, lube up the string good with wax, and push the paper clip through the hole in the NoGluvs. After that, you can pull on the paper clip to get the string to follow it through. That's the hard part where those who are easily offended should leave the room in case there is a short bout of swearing.
It'll get easier once you get it down past the string loop where the string isn't as think. The big part of the NoGluvs goes onbelow the nocking point for the 'one finger above, and 2 fingers below' grip.

With the spool reel you are using, you'll need both hands to 'hand-over-hand' the line back to shore. Afterscoring a hit,geta good grip on the line with your shooting hand, dump the bow, and start hauling him in with both hands. If shooting from shore, try to pick out a landing spot that doesn't have a lot of heavy vegetation or branches. Fish can tear off the arrow easier when they have something to push against. Then get them to a safe location before removing them from the arrow.

Have a fish-attitude-adjustment-stick handy so your recent catch doesn't scare away the next fish by thumping in the boat, or end up flipping back into the water if you're on shore. You cannot legally return a shot fish to the water, as it is considered 'dumping'.

Only really big fish take a long time to get reeled in. They can all put up a good fight, but stuff under 30 pounds doesn't usually take more than a minute or two to get in.

Happy fishing.
-Bulz
Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, pay attention to your arrow flight. Since bowfishing arrows are so stiff, you'll need to make an adjustment to your rest or draw weight to get them flying properly. The tuning adjustments are just like for any other arrow.

Ifthe arrow isn't flying well, it will be angled some direction other than where you aimed it when it hits the water. Striking the dense medium of water, it will veer or 'plane' in the direction it was facing regardless of the actual direction of travel. You can hit the water in the right spot, adn have your arrow immediatlely zip left or right and be way off by the time it gets down to the fish's level. The worst is if the arrow is flying nock-low because it makes the whole refraction/aim low effect worse because the arrow wants to skip off the surface and stays shallow. I prefer to have mine fly a bit nock-high for longer shots.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as rest go. remove what ever type of rest is on the bow. Go to the hardware store and buy a I-bolt. It will slide through the Rest hole in bow. The threads are different so it will not screw in. Just use a washer and nut on the other side. Also it is a good Idea to take some epoxy or JB Weld and fill in the small grove where the loop touches the bolt. That will prevent the line from catching. It is a good cheap rest. The arrow will not fall of and supports the arrow well. Most rest are way too soft to full support a solid fishing arrow. good luck..johnny .b
Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Spike

A pair of mechanic or batting gloves can be real handy it=f you get into some big fish. Line burns can hurt. Good luck, CS!! Let us know how it goes.

Shot five more at Sangchris this afternoon and will try again in the morning.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure they get in the Club's fish count Rick.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:40 PM

I have given up on the wax for no glove install and just use a good ole amount of spit all over the end of the string and the no glove. I happen to use a bobby pin to feed the string thru and use a pair of pliers to hold on to the pin. I just put some on a new bow last night and it took about 5 minutes.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 PM

Having put on a couple of hundred no gloves over the years. I use just plain old liquid dish soap, soap the string and run some in the hole on the no golves. I use a piece of fine wire to pull the string threw the no gloves. use plyers to grip the wire or what ever your using. Fred@F&D
Old 06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, what Fred said, but I use a piece of 40 or 50 lb test mono to pull the string thru. makes it super easy without damaging the string.