Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Bigheads and Silvers Research help needed >

Bigheads and Silvers Research help needed

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Bigheads and Silvers Research help needed

Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default Bigheads and Silvers Research help needed

If anyone observes, shoots, snags a bighead, silver or grass carp above the Starved Rock dam, there is a research biologist named Irwin Polls who would like to know about it.

(I have his contact info, please pm or email me for it)

Anyone who catches an Asian carp above Starved Rock should take a picture of it, if possible. Species is important, other than that length, weight, date and time of day/night, might be interesting. Any information is good, though, and I wouldn't fail to report because you don't have some piece of information.
Presence is the key thing here. Even viewing silver carp jumping or bigheads surface feeding would would be of interest, above the dam.
I wouldn't bother Irwin about anything below the dam. (but if anyone EVER shoots a black carp, I and many other people will want to know about it. That would be important news and the fish should be kept cold if possible to make it easier to determine sterility/fertility)

Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bigheads and Silvers Research help needed

I've been hearing rumors about Asians in the Illinois between Marsaelles and Morris, which is where I live, but have never heard anything conclusive. Anybody else hear any good rumors or see anything for themselves. I'm going to have to start taking the bow while out skiing.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Bigheads and Silvers Research help needed

below the dam at carlyle ill. there are big heads alot of them but in order to see them u have to be slow and patient