Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Best Bowfishing Club contest

Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Best Bowfishing Club contest

I've volunteered you all... I mean all y'all for the BowfishUSA's Best Bowfishing Club contest.

Don't you just love being volunteered for stuff?

Anyhow, it's a good way to mark our progress as a club and have some fun.

Here's the post on BowfishUSA:

At the current time I have set up 8 different categories to determine the Bowfishing Club of the year. The categories are as follows:

1) Most fish harvested
2) Most locations fished
3) Best tournament attendance
4) Most new members
5) Most kids events hosted
6) Most published (most articles in newspapers, etc.)
7) Conservation
8) Best use of fish (after a tournament)

Each category is alloted a certain number of points. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Most fish harvested
- 1 point per fish if the fish species is not specified
- 3 points per fish if the species is specified

2) Most locations fished
- 2 points per unique body of water fished

3) Best tournament attendance
- 1 point per person participating (either fishing or helping conduct the tournament - person must sign in when the tournament begins)

4) Most new members
- 10 points per member for every member added to the club (if your club has 10 members as of Dec. 31, and you have 12 members at the end of 2006, you get 20 points for adding two members)

5) Most kids events hosted
- 10 points per event

6) Most published
- 10 points for every newspaper or magazine article that you get your club's name published in. You must have proof of the article!
- 10 bonus points if you get bowfishusa mentioned in the article.

7) Conservation
- 5 points per event
- Events could include the following:
- Carp-only tournaments
- Gar or other tournaments are ok, provided you have a letter from the DNR stating that the numbers of those fish are too high and need to be thinned/maintained in the body of water you're fishing
- A work day at a lake, cleaning up trash, etc.
- Submit anything else you think could be classified as a conservation event....it can't hurt to submit it!

- If you host a species specific event based on DNR recommendations (i.e. a carp only tournament), each fish is worth 5 points towards the conservation score (this is in addition to the 5 points you get just for hosting the event)

8) Best use of fish after a tournament
- 500 points (i.e. something other than dumping the fish)

The winner of each category will receive a small trophy engraved with their accomplishments. The overall winner will be designated as the Bowfishing Club of the Year and will receive a large trophy (approximately 2' tall or so).

If your club wishes to participate, there is a $30 entry fee to be paid prior to January 31, 2006. The competition will begin February 1, 2006 and will run through November 30, 2006.

How does that sound? Suggestions and comments are welcome - this is my first stab at coming up with something along these lines.

You can read the original at http://www.bowfishusa.com/community/index.php?topic=8291.0

Do we have any chance of winning? Who knows, but it should be fun trying. (look at it asa whole new reason to shoot a load of fish!)

So... my dearest members, please start keeping track of the numbers of fish you shoot and how many places you shoot.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Bowfishing Club contest

Looks to me like we should have a real good chance since I never saw any other clubs listed.
Just in case though, Keep track of how many fish you harvest and all the other stuff listed.
There is only one first time. As far as I know this is the first year for this competition. Sure would be nice to have Illinois Bowfishers at the top of the plaque, trophy, whatever...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Bowfishing Club contest

Kendall has a point susre would be nice to numero uno but i think as a group we can shoot with anybody........