Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

tipping Question

Old 10-25-2022, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default tipping Question

I am going on a deer hunting trip to NC and after harvesting a deer the guides break it down into quarters to take home. What is a good tip for this service, and after our 5 day hunt giving the guides a tip for driving us to the stands each day.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 270sniper
I am going on a deer hunting trip to NC and after harvesting a deer the guides break it down into quarters to take home. What is a good tip for this service, and after our 5 day hunt giving the guides a tip for driving us to the stands each day.
What did you hunt cost you?
Old 10-25-2022, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

My baseline is about 20%, regardless of the duration or type of service (fishing or hunting), to be adjusted up or down (but mainly down) depending on the quality of service.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What did you hunt cost you?
$1800 no food just lodging And transportation to your stand
Old 10-25-2022, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

I’m not giving someone 20 percent to break down a deer
Old 10-26-2022, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

10 % would be sufficient just for quartering a deer and a ride to and from a stand. I just returned from an antelope hunt in CO. There were two of us with our guide. He was with us all day locating the antelope, took us to the hunting area and stayed with us throughout the hunt and gutted our animals after the kill and transported us to a butcher shop to butcher the animals. We hunted 2 days out of a 3 day hunt and each got an antelope. We tipped him $800,00 and we tipped the chef and his helper $300.00 for their part in making our hunting experience a good one. The tip is entirely up to you based on what services were provided.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-27-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

$1800 no food just lodging And transportation to your stand
Sorry I did not read your first post well enough. If the only "guiding" you can expect is someone getting you to a stand, it seems the only "service" you will receive is the processing of any deer you take. I am not sure much of a tip is warranted at all.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

10% for less than 10 minutes work to quarter a deer is for you rich guys. That could get real expensive because I could shoot up to 6 deer on my tag. For @5% I can take the whole deer to a butcher and get a basic cut and vacuum seal wrap.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

10% for less than 10 minutes work to quarter a deer is for you rich guys. That could get real expensive because I could shoot up to 6 deer on my tag. For @5% I can take the whole deer to a butcher and get a basic cut and vacuum seal wrap.
Suit yourself. Tipping is part of the game when you are not hunting on your own but using an outfitter and or guide who does the dirty work and transportation to the hunt site and back to where you started . I am far from rich but neither am I a cheapskate, many times the guides get little pay or no pay for their work.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a hunt like this I would only tip $100 - $150 tops. Now a fully guided hunt where the guide is with you all day and working hard to get you an animal then $250 whether you get an animal or not is proper. I've been on 2 elk hunt where my guide busted his butt to try and get me a bull but couldn't. He did his best. I've also been on hunts where I had to tell either the guide directly or the outfitter that I was dissatisfied with the effort. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't and my tip or lack there of was their "reward". I refuse to give a tip for poor service same as at a restaurant.
This doesn't apply to your hunt but on a hunt where food is supplied I also tipped the cook.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.