Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

2018-19 MT Upland

Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default 2018-19 MT Upland

Hello everyone. Hope you are having a nice day.

About me: I am a young hunter from North Carolina where we have little upland action. Im an avid duck hunter as I live on the coast and we catch a lot of migratory diver ducks.

I am trying to plan a Montana upland game hunt and I am seeking local assitance and/or some one to hunt with. This is a "roughing" it type trip. I dont know the area or the birds. I will not be bringing a dog.

If you are someone who is an avid bird hunter in or near Montana and seek a "plus one" in the field and enjoy feeding ones addiction to bird hunting please pm me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by NCUplander; 04-22-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Error
Old 04-22-2018, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

First, MO is abbreviation for Missouri, not Montana. Montana is MT. Second, figure out what upland species you want to go after, and do your own research about areas to travel to. If you are looking for an outfitter, i.e. that is where you posted this, not a big selection, and I have never used one or do I know of any .
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mthusker
First, MO is abbreviation for Missouri, not Montana. Montana is MT. Second, figure out what upland species you want to go after, and do your own research about areas to travel to. If you are looking for an outfitter, i.e. that is where you posted this, not a big selection, and I have never used one or do I know of any .
No I am not looking for a paid guide outfitter. I feel that there is a lot missed by just paid to slaughter there birds. Not saying this is always the case but they have a job and money is always the moving object. And thank you on the correction.

Also any upland game will do. Im not picky.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any particular reason you've picked Montana over other (and closer) Western states, where upland species are abundant?
Grouse of several varieties are abundant in Colorado. Pheasants are abundant in the Dakotas (though they had a terrible hatch last year due to drought, and populations may be lower than usual for awhile). Kansas and even parts of Nebraska have good quail populations.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by younggun308
Any particular reason you've picked Montana over other (and closer) Western states, where upland species are abundant?
Grouse of several varieties are abundant in Colorado. Pheasants are abundant in the Dakotas (though they had a terrible hatch last year due to drought, and populations may be lower than usual for awhile). Kansas and even parts of Nebraska have good quail populations.
Montana is the closer. I live in North Carolina. I am not oppose to other states at all, I just have wanted to specifically go to Montana. No specific reason at all.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

With respect, Montana is in fact among the farthest states in the Mountain West from North Carolina you could have chosen, excepting Idaho.

But if you want to go to Montana just because you want to go to Montana, that's fine. Just be willing to pay a potentially higher travel cost, if for no other reason than Montana lacks a major air hub like Denver or Salt Lake, meaning you'd likely have to tack on the cost of an extra connecting flight just to get there if you're flying. And if you're driving, well, the extra distance requires more gas.

Have you ever considering "ruffing it" in the Western part of NC? My sense from reports is that the ruffed grouse population on the NC side of the TN-NC state line has a decent grouse population, if you're willing to walk in excess of 7 miles or more in high elevation during a hunt.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

LOL, I am starting to wonder if he has Montana and Missouri confused, I am getting there.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a completely separate note, mthusker, this thread induced me to actually look up flights from Charlotte to Montana airports. You know which one came up the cheapest? The flight to a place I honestly had never heard of, before: Kalispell. Had to look it up on the map. Perhaps I'm just uniquely ignorant when it comes to Western cities, but for the life of me I just have never so much as heard its name in passing.

After looking on the map, all I have to say is, it's hard to imagine a more ideal entry point to the state, if one's goal is to get to the mountains. How's the town, if you've ever been? With non-resident bear tags costing less than half the price of an elk tag, and a flight costing less than $400, a guy's wheels sure can start to turn...
Old 04-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

It is in the NW corner, close to Glacier NP, Whitefish Skiing, I have a friend who bear hunts near Libby, good fishing, I do not know much about elk and deer hunting out that way. I do know airline rates can change, I would think Billings, Bozeman or Great Falls would be cheaper, but i have never flown from Kalispell. I am not a real big flyer, prefer to see the country on the ground, LOL.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mthusker
I am not a real big flyer, prefer to see the country on the ground, LOL.
I hear ya! And that'd be the way I'd want to travel, only problem is, your state only seems to come in size 3XL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.