Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

By horseback?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default By horseback?

My wife has agreed to go on a hunting trip outwest if we can do it on horseback. I will be hunting she will not. Anyone have any good suggestions for places to look into? We would like to go for our Anniversary in mid November 07...............
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 AM

Default RE: By horseback?

A horseback hunt with your wife sounds like a great trip. You are a lucky man that she wants to go with you on such a trip. We have a number of outfitters in a variety of states that offer horseback hunts.

My first suggestion is Idaho.We have an excellent outfitter there who offers 7 day mule deer, elk, and combo hunts from mid October through mid November. Tag are guaranteed through the outfitter. On this hunt you horse pack into the Salmon Wilderness, a beaufitul, scenic, rugged area which this outfitter has exclusive rights on. Success rates are high and excellent quality animals are available. Hunts are $3850 for elk or $4500 for elk/mule deer combo. I highly recommend this outfitter.

Another option is a public land over the counter elk hunt in Colorado. Outfitters there pack into the wilderness and offer good hunts. Besides the Idaho outfitter tags and the Colorado over the counter tags, most states drawing deadlines are past or have long odds at drawing the first year you apply. In states like New Mexico and Colorado that also offer private landowner tags, the outfitters use 4x4 pickups rather than horses, since these ranches have a network of roads.

Back to the Colorado public land hunt, the cost goes down, but so does success rates and trophy quality, and hunter competition goes up. Not that those points should keep you from such a hunt, the horse packing into beautiful wilderness and the thrill of pursuit are still there, you should just know the realities of that type of hunt.

If you would like to discuss any of our outfitters, especially the Idaho option I recommend, just give me a call or shoot me an email. I hope you find a great hunt however it works out. I am going to have to point out your example to my wife as an aniversary trip, as ours is in November too.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have horseback elk and lion hunts. 1-877-647-9926 or email at [email protected]
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM

If you are looking for beautiful country and great deer hunting we are looking for someone for the 2007 season. We have a ranch in western South Dakota just south of the Badlands.The placeis set up with a barn and lot for horses and you would be the only hunter. It has a small spring creek and also a larger creek running through it and roughcountry. We could help you set up a camp righton the place or there is a local B&B that is very nice.I can email some photos if you are [email protected]