Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Horseback hunting?

Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Horseback hunting?

Does anyone know an outfitter that guides with horses? My wife had agreed to do an outwest hunt with me, she will not be hunting. She wants to go on horseback though, she wants to be there every step of the way. I am open to many game animals for this but, would like to go in mid November.

Also, I do not want to have to pay for my wife as a hunter but, will pay the extra person fees for lodging, horses etc. etc......

This maybe a hard request but, it is for our anniversery. She wants to go riding and I want to go hunting LOL. Maybe someone out there can help.........
Old 03-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Horseback hunting?

Theres places out there for this. Depending what your looking for. Theres outfitters that use horses and hunt from a "base" camp or lodge, and others pack in with the horses into the National forests or wilderness areas. What does your wife prefer, assuming more the lodge hunt??? Alot of states for this year your too late to get into the draws, however there are still states you can get into. Colorada Ranching for Wildlife is buy the tags over the counter and theres outfitters such as ELkhorn Outfitters out of Craig that hunt Sept through Dec for Elk and Deer. Might be a good place to check into first. He's a outfitter buddy of ours, tell him L & M refered you.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Start calling up guides and asking. I know there are a lot of them that hunt off of horseback in Wyoming. It's gonna be pretty chilly up on those horses. A lot of guys are hunting off of snowmachines by the end of November. I bet your wife would enjoy the trip a lot more if you went in October.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Elk hunt.
November.
Horses,
Brrrrr.... no colder place than atop a horse when it is mean.....

That will be one heavy duty hunt and not a cake walk at all, I hope your wife is a serious go getter.

Good Luck
Old 03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone...... It doesn't necessarily have to be for elk. I know all about cold climates and cold weather hunting, maybe not as severe of hunting as in the mountains but, use to hunt the upper peninsula of Michigan for whitetail through December and had some down right mean days up there 60-70 below with wind chills.

So now that I have been talked and talked myself out of that misery... LOL. Anyone know any Texas outfitters.

Again it really doesn't matter what game to be hunted but, the horse thing is a must.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Not sure where you'll be hunting but usually elk/deer are down in the lower ranges where theres less snow, more food and its usually warmer. I honestly dont think horses will be needed in november.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Bullrider do you have any Colorado preference points? If you did I have two spots open in first rifle in October. There is one couple going on that hunt already, so it would only be 4 people total.

Horses not needed in november? Snow drives the elk and deer down? I'm confused is it me or have we not had any big snows driving elk anywhere in the last 13 years.

I like it when it snows just enough to keep them atv's where they belong at home.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did a archery Elk hunt with Winterhawk Outfitters last Sept. if you can get a license I'd check into them.They are a over the counter area for archery licenses.www.winterhawk.com They had tent setups at base camp to accomodate couples. One of the guides had his girlfriend come and stay with him the wk I was there.Its a very friendly, treat you like family atmosphere. They would only chargeherby the day for coming along, and not the hunt price. They use horses & mules thatare very good. But I will tell yousome of the places you ride can be a little scary in the mountains. You'll be riding sides of mountains on cow paths, up & down steep points. If she has horse experience she should be fine.You ride 1-2hrs starting out in the darkness, andride same back reaching base camp in the dark. But your guide will bring youback anytime you request. If she happens to decide to stay in any morning the base camp is enjoyable to hang out.The owners that run it are husband & wife that have children. They have their own tent, and remainin basecamp throughout the season. They are really good people. I'm going back in 08'.
Personally I'd recommend you do a Aug/Sept archery hunt if this is something your interestedin. Its just a better climate, and the elk are in rut during the archery season. You get the full effects of calling, and hearing the bugles. Rifle season you'll get setup on a watch, and sit most of the day waiting. Come Nov. the rockies are more likely to becold, and wintery like. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me them.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can fix you up with a horsebackMontana or British Columbiaelk hunt or a New Mexico horseback cougar hunt.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replys. I am reading into the websites that have been posted. As for a point, no I really don't care where. As long as we spend many hours on horseback my wife will be happy as will I......

Quick Reply: Horseback hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.