Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Moving a GunSafe

Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Moving a GunSafe

Whats the easiest way to move a 500lb safe thru the house? My folks mentioned that they want one and of course being the good son that I am I told them they buy it I'll get put in.

Of course it won't just sit in a corner of the living room, they what in the back bedroom on the opposite side of the house.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving a GunSafe

When I installed my safe (900 lb 74" x 48" x 28" ) we used a heavy duty 2 wheel cart that I rented.
I was able to remove the door ,it weighted 400 lb I think.
4 of us roled it in the front door and in to the bedroom .
I had allready poured a footer in the crawl space and blocked up the floor to take all the weight.

I recomend puting the safe as close to a suporting wall ( under the floor) as posible or if over a crawl space build a suport under the safe.
I have seen saging floors from safes set in the middle of a wall.

Johnch
Old 04-16-2005, 09:22 AM

My safe was 1300+ IIRC. We used a 4 wheel dolly also and it worked pretty good. It was a dolly without handles, just went under the safe. There were a few issues where we had to lay down pieces of plywood and roll it on pieces of pipe to get it low enough in a few areas. So between a rated dolly, some plywood pieces and 3-4 pieces of pipe you can move it just about anywhere. Won't go too fast and just take it slow and plan enough time.

Also support it well if the house isn't on a slab. Ours is in our mobile home and its on the 2x6 crossmembers, sitting on top of a piece of plywood to help distribute the weigth and I poured a small slab under the outer wall and built up with blocks to the bottom of the 2x6s to help the weight.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I use to sell and install safes and vaults. I used 2 pieces of plywood, a J-Bar to
tip -up one end and place 3 1" solid bar stock under it. Let It down on them
and rolled it on the plywood always placing the back roller in front as you go along.
You can also pivot if you need to. Always roll it with the door towards you. When
you have it where you wany it, use the J-bar to tip it to remove rollers and plywood.
Like it has been mentioned, support your floor joist before you roll it to position.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:24 PM

A case of beer and two or three strong friends who are willing to trade labor for beer. Seriously, be careful when moving these things. I had a door come off one once, it was on the tailgate of a rental truck. If anyone had been standing where the door landed they'd have been seriously injured or killed.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys for the replys. When you mention using plywood 1/2" ok?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I moved mine and several friends have them. We used 2 of small 4 wheeled furniture dollys.Carefully lay the safe down,move it where you want it. Then a couple of us man handle it back upright.It's worked out good doing it that way.My only suggestion is once you have it set bolt it down.If you have it on a concrete slab using the Drop ins work well.Hiliti makes them. Home Depot sells them under a different name.They come in either 3/8" or 1/2". I used the 1/2" and Grade 8 bolts.I would also suggest investing in a "Golden Rod" Dehumdifier.Just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems moving a safe in.Two or three people should be all the help you need.

Ruger Redhawk