Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Arctic Cat

Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arctic Cat

Was checking out the A.T.V and was wondering what everyones take is on them.
I really like the 500 4x4 automatic with the independent suspension front and back ,diff lock and the ground clearance is superb.All this with a 2 year warranty.
I am hopefully looking at getting one by summer,and looking at all the models I can.Am also interested in the Honda 500 Rubicon as well.
Anyones thoughts on these makes and models,especially the Arctic Cat
Old 04-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arctic Cat

I own a rubicon myself and find the hydrostatic transmission to be the smoothest auto drive system available in a quad.The engine braking is also better than any other quad that I have ridden.So far my rubicon has been worked hard for two seasons dragging moose and elk and has been totally reliable requiring very little maintenance.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the input on the Rubicon stubble.I do agree on everything you told me about it and its a great machine.I also like how they finally got rid of the little red button reverse.That was one thing I didnt like about the Hondas.
I have a good friend with a rubicon with the 26 inch ITP's on it and it halls .Seems to work real good for him.I am still open to comments about the Rubicon and Arctic Cats
Jason
Old 04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Spike

I can't say anything about the Rubicon because I've never driven one....

However I will say that I've got both a Polaris Sportsman 500 and an Arctic Cat 500 Auto. Both ATV's have treated me well. (No problems with either) They both have their own strong points and weak points.

For the kind of use I put the ATV through, I like the Arctic Cat better than the Polaris. The Cat has much better ground clearance (I think it is the best on the market). The Cat also has longer wheel travel than the Polaris. So it will climb over fallen trees and rocks without hitting the skid plate much better than the Polaris.... I hate the feel and sound of the skid plate scraping all the time....

The Polaris is faster than the Cat... I think that is because the Cat is geared lower. Since I never go over 20 MPH in the woods this isn't an issue. If you are going to do a lot of hi speed 4 wheeling, I'd recommend staying away from the Cat. But if you are going to use it as a work horse (Like I do) or a rock climber, I highly recommend it. I have a feeling that the Honda is also faster than the Cat.... The Polaris also gets better milage than the Cat. (Again I think this is due to the gearing)

My ATV's are used in thick heavy woods for pulling plows, discs and trees. I typically cut down a tree in the woods, top off the branches and drag the rest to my hunting camp to be cut up... I also use the ATV's in my food plots for pulling the discs and other attachments. Both the Polaris and the Cat do those things well.... but the Cat can just go places that the Polaris can't due to the ground clearance.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Ext.1 i love my 500 artic cat had it for 2yrs. living in western n.y. i moved tons of snow with it. Yesterday some places got up to 3ft. of snow. We had a honda before but was hard to start. The cats a good hunting compaion. Rich
Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard Coach Dad
Thanx for the info,it is truely appreciated.I will be using mine for play,hunting and fishing,especially ice fishing as I like to explore new spots.I like speed,but its not a selling feature for me,its the ground clearance and reliability I look for in a machine.Thank you again for your input.

RWK--thank you.I am thinking of getting a plow as well.I can make a ice rink for the kids alot easier
My friend has the Honda 450 ES and its a real headache to get started in the cold,you living in NY should know that as well as I.Are the Cats that much better in the cold?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can also vouch for the Cat as being a very good workhorse type machine. I own a 2001 500 auto. I only took it into the shop 1x for a end of warranty checkup deal. No problems with my Cat, None. I use mine for work, and trail riding. I've disc'd my food plts, hauled wood, dirt, debris via a cart, and I plow my 80yard driveway all winter long. Upstate NY gets plenty of lake effect snow storms off Ontario. I have zero complaints on my machine. I only wish I waited a couple yrs to get the newer body style! I love the looks of the newer machines. I'd buy another Cat w/o hesitation.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since I live in a colder climate than most people,cold weather starting is a priority for me.The rubicon starts very easily in cold weather as do most hondas if you use the primer.A few shots of the primer and my rubicon will start immediately at temperatures down to -20and colder.The problems that most people have with hondas is that they don't use the primer.The primer is located under the seat so some people are not even aware that their quad even has a primer.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am on my second Big Bear and we actually have 3 in my camp and they are absolutely bullet proof. We haul moose, deer, bear and anything you can lash to them. Not sure about the arctic cat as I don't know anybody who owns one but I would stay away from a polaris.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle has a 500 Arctic Cat 4WD manual....It gets up to 60mph, easily. And as Coach said, it is the best for the woods. I dont ever remember bottoming out on it. The independent rear suspension is like riding in a Cadillac over rough fields, even sitting on the rack, where Ive racked up MANY miles. We broke the brakes on it, and we've been driving it around for over 2 years without brakes, thats why I prefer the manual over the Auto. I dont think the Auto will slow you down like the manual by downshifting, but it may, I dont know.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.