Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Scopes: Shotgun/Rifle Same Same? >

Scopes: Shotgun/Rifle Same Same?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scopes: Shotgun/Rifle Same Same?

Old 03-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Scopes: Shotgun/Rifle Same Same?

With some of the available slug guns on the market reaching out to 100 + yds, I was wondering if a rifle scope could be attached to a shotgun? I've only been able to find one "slug gun" advertised scope available in the 3-9 x 40mm range (Bushnell Banner Model 71-3947). Other slug gun advertised scopes commonly focus on 2-7 x 33mm (Leupold VX-I) or there abouts. I'd like to use the same scope (specs) on my shotgun that I have on my rifle (3-9 x 40mm).

Question: Are the scopes advertised under the slug gun umbrella beefed up to absorb the shock/abuse of a rifled barrel shotgun? OR Are these scopes purely advertised as "slug/shot gun" scopes due to the predetermined optic requirements (50-75yds) of a rifled barrel shotgun?

Thanks for your comments in advance,
MD Piney
Old 03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scopes: Shotgun/Rifle Same Same?

Basically every scope mfg has shotgun-specific scopes. But yes "regular" rifle scopes can stand up to the shotgun recoil, but only real quality ones, designed for the heavy and magnum-type calibers.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-21-2005, 02:06 AM

Yes, a Rifle scope will work on a shotgun. One thing you have to keep in mind though is " Eye Relief ". Usually, the more powerful the scope, the shorter the eye relief. Short eye relief on a slug gun may lead to stitches in your eye brow! Make sure that the scope that you choose has a sufficient amount of eye relief. That's one reason why most shotgun scopes are " Lower Powered " scopes, and because most shots will be inside of 100 yards and higher powered scopes are not needed.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 3-9x40mm Leupold Varix-II on my 12 Ga. Slug Gun, no problems, works great!!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Also bear in mind a shotgun scope as a paralax set to 75 yards,a rifles is set at 100 yds
Old 03-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I believe your right on with the eye relief considerations. Other than that it appears the only other difference is the paralex.

dvdegeorge,

I've read about the paralex, but don't quite understand exactly what it is. Does it have something to do with the focus at a certain setting/range? Could you share some more info on this subject?

Thanks,
MD Piney