Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun Scopes????

Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun Scopes????

I just bought my wife a Youth model 20 gauge charles daly. She feels more comfortable shooting a scope so i'm looking at getting either a red dot scope or regular shotgun scope. What make and models do ya'll prefer? And what is your take on them? I need to get one that isn't expensive but will do the job.....Thanks for ya'lls imput....
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Scopes????

I use a red dot from BPS/Redhead line. Remember to take the batteries out when not in use, mine always die. And bring a spare!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have used for the last 10 yrs - Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro. it has taken a beating and I have not needed to re-adjust as of yet. Though i do check it every yr.

Has a very nice crosshair reticle with a diamond and at 40 yards at high power the head of the turkey fills the daimond. Makes a good reference for new hunters for distance. Optics are very clear and easy to pick up. the back of the scope eye piece is rubber coated. Mine is Matte.

Now by adding this scope and what it gave me was, with a change of a choke tube for slugs - I have a very nice deer whacker too!

JW
Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd opt for the red dot for your wifes turkey slayer. Eye relief wont ever be a problem so you wont have to worry about the severe recoil problems.... like slicing her brow open with the back of the scope. This seems to be a very real consideration when talkin' about thebrutal recoil of modern turkey loads. I know the red dot option was the best thing I could have done on all 3 of my kids' shotguns. I even enjoyed shooting them so much with the red dot that I put one on our Benelli SBEII and our Encore ProHunter 12 gauges. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Spike

Thank you all for your imput. I'll Take it into consideration when i go to get one.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Mueller MX-1 red dot scope for my Mossberg 835. Seems to be very nice, though i havent shot with it yet. The guy at Gander Mountain said thats the only scope they carry that will withstand the large recoil. So...we'll see if hes right.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

bsa red dot. 45 bucks, works on my slug gun so should work on your wifes turkey gun
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

I personally prefer scopes over red dots. With a scope they gather more light if you are working a bird at first light, plus you don't have to worry about batteries. I have used a bushnell 1.5-4x turkey plex scope the past few years and have liked it a lot. It is fairly inexpensive (as far as scopes go) and it has held up very well. Either way tell her good luck with the new shotgun!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a Tradition 4x32 with turkey plex reticle for a good while now. It has held up very well, always a crisp clear picture, and once it was sighted it I haven't ever had to readjust it.....I think they run around $70-$80 for the camo version.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Spike

I would definately go with the red dot scope...i bought a tru glo the other day and i love it.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Scopes????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.