Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS Units

Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 AM

Default GPS Units

I am hoping to get some advice for a GPS unit.

Anyone have experiance on what works well and what is a good unit? I will be using it primarily for hunting and marking stands, scouting, etc.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS Units

bearshooter, if you click on search, type in gps, change the finds from one month to one year at the bottem of the search you will find many topics on this subject. hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had relatively good experiences with the Magellan Sportrak Map model. I have had it for about a year and a half now and have found it relatively easy to use and very reliable. You can usually get a package deal on them, with the mapping software and travel kit for around $300 if memory serves me.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I would only buy a Garmin, I have had several (keep upgrading) & have been very happy with each one I have owned. I currently have the Garmin 76 & use it as a back up offshore & in the woods. I'm very hard on a GPS & a Garmin will not let you down.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

The government supplied me with a Garmin unit for general navigation and surveying. I really liked the unit. It had decent battery life, was very accurate, and had loads of features. I think it was a GPS Map 76.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used about every handheld GPS unit out on the market today. Garmin is still inhead of the rest by leaps and bounds. They back their products 100%.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:04 PM

Bearshooter,
I'd have to go with Garmin, as others have suggested. I fish commercially in the northeast and rely on gps every time I'm out on the water. I have used many GPS units from different manufacturers and have found Garmin to be my personal favorite. I just purchased a Garmin 60C for an upcoming elk hunt in Montana. I haven't used it yet so I can't tell you much about it. I also own two other handheld gps untis from garmin and they are both good performers. I own quite a few fixed mount gps units, two in each boat, and I've only had a problem with one, I sent it back to Garmin and, no questions asked, they fixed it and had it back in no time. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

What would be the minimum unit(model and costwise) that would serve a person well? I am talking about using one rarely except for a week in Colorado this fall.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:20 AM

I think I spent about 279 for my Garmin Etrex Vista about a year ago, I find myself using it more than I thought I ever would
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar, if all you were needing is a navigation device that will get you from point A to Point B, with compass, distance and other various computations, something as simple as the Garmin Etrex(yellow) will get the job done. Under a $100 retail. The fancy mapping units are cool(like 60C, Etrex Legend, Etrex Vista, etc), but when your lost, both will get you back basically the same way.

Quick Reply: GPS Units

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.