Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS Units

Old 02-23-2005, 12:25 PM

Default RE: GPS Units

Cougar, if all you were needing is a navigation device that will get you from point A to Point B, with compass, distance and other various computations, something as simple as the Garmin Etrex(yellow) will get the job done. Under a $100 retail. The fancy mapping units are cool(like 60C, Etrex Legend, Etrex Vista, etc), but when your lost, both will get you back basically the same way.
One feature that is really nice to be able to download waypoints to the GPS unit. Try a Garmin Legend (about $160). You also also send Topo maps or Bluewater charts to it too.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:59 PM

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista that has been very reliable and works great.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Etrex Legend. Paid $150. It has more features than the basic model, not as many as the high end units, but definitely some bells and whistles worth having. The built in maps are nice for general reference though they are not detailed. You can download more detailed maps if you buy the CDs, but I haven't had the need to. Overall, its a great little unit.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 PM

I'm using a Garmin GSMAP 76CS (color, lots of memory for maps, auto routing). Having a color display is a great improvement in these things.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Spike

i bought my garmin etrex vista brand new on ebay for about $120
Old 03-10-2005, 06:43 AM

I've been using a Garmin in one form or another since GPS was released for civilian use. I've tried others, but always come back to the Garmin's. Useing a GPS hunting will change the way you hunt, IF you get a good one you can trust. Saying you only need it for Colorado is like saying you only need heat in the winter, put in a cheap furnace. Colorado is big country that can take your life if you're not careful. Don't buy the cheapest unit you can and learn to use it before you go. And ALWAYS carry a compass and map as a backup! I'm speaking from experience.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Garmin!
I have a Garmin Legend that I love. User friendly, nice features, and Garmins customer service is great -- my screen had issues, called customer service and they said send it in even though I didnt have the receipt. I got a new unit in a couple weeks -- and they even put my old waypoints on the new unit!
Only problem is satellite reception in the woods is not the best, but didnt expect it to be.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Garmin Etrex Summit it gives you an instant bearing (arrow pointer points you directly to your waypoint)while standing still once locked on to the Sat. Same thing withe the built in compass. Their lesser model and that goes for other brands out there (the yellow one) for about $99 gave me problems the first time i used it while hunting it took awhile to get a good bearing and or compass heading i was having to walk a ways before everything would get orientated so i exchanged it for their better model.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 AM

I love my Garmin Legend, however the Vista has some awesome features that the Legend does not. Stick with a Garmin!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:44 AM

I'd buy a Garmin - they support the devices long after the sale has taken place. Things I look for in one is the ability to load maps and color. Color adds a lot to these devices. A few that you might want to look at are the ETREX-Legend C, ETREX Vista C, 60C and 60CS and if you want to load a LOT of maps the GPS MAP 76C.

Quick Reply: GPS Units

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.