Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars? >

Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

I had never thought about the idea that there might be differences in optical quality between a manufacturer's 8x42 binocular and 10x42 binocular in the same model. I take it this was in fact your experience with the 10x42s?
In this specific case, yes, there was. As I mentioned, I bought one of the black 10x42 models and found it to be above average for that price range in terms of optical performance. When I bought the camo version 10x42 this past November I was very disappointed in the optical performance as the spherical abberation was horrible. Both pairs of the 8x42s I have had the chance to look through did not exhibit the same levels of spherical abberation.

This brings up two key points. One, quality control at this price point is not as good as the more expensive models so it is almost imperative that you actually try the exact pair of binoculars that you are going to walk out the door with. Not just the same model but the exact unit that you are buying. Two, it is much simpler for a manufacturer to create a decent quality 7x or 8x binocular. When going with a higher magnification binocular any deficiencies in the optical quality are "magnified" (pun intended) moreso than in an 8x or 7x model.

Your references to astronomical use of binoculars is spot on and a perfect illustration as to why a higher power binocular may not always give you more detail under any given condition.

I am glad to see you bought the Monarchs. I do think they are a good binocular in that price range. The only pair that I personally think are roughly equivalent to them in terms of quality, size and price are the Bushnell Legends.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

sam 444:

Does the Cabela's Binosystem keep the binoculars from flopping around when you walk? Is it easy to pull the binoculars up for viewing? I can imagine moving through timber and pausing frequently to bring the binoculars up with a single hand to look while holding my rifle with the other hand. Does the binosystem allow this or is the elastic tension a bit much for this? Have you used your binosystem in such circumstances? I suppose for long-term glassing the binosystem can be removed, as I would remove a pack if I was going to glass for 20 or 30 minutes from one place.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 AM

I also have the Nikon 8x42s and they work great for the money. I was looking at more expensive $900 - $1000, but when I looked through them, there wasn't much difference (at least to a novice like myself), especially for the hunting I planned to do. These had all the requirements I was looking for - rugged, shock proof, water proof, multi-phased corrected, roof prism, etc. They are easy to use with and without my glasses. I also have the harness from Cabela's for holding them, which is much more comfortable then the neck strap.

It is true that the lens cap system sucks. But once I got my harness, I cut up my the old neck strap and hooked the lens covers to it, so now I just flip them off and they don't get lost.

Also, my hunting buddy bought some Pinnacle Windrivers, and we spent a lot of time sitting in the blind looking through each others binocs and then back to ours. We both agreed that we would have chosen the Nikons over his (even if the price was the same) - so needless to say, I'm glad I saved a bunch of money and got a really good set.

I also went through a lot of research before buying, probably way too much, and was very close to Steiners, but then more research brought me to B&L and Ziess, but then finally went with the Nikons for $250. You'll be happy with them.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing I like about the 8x42 over the 10x42 is the greater field of view and bigger exit pupil.When it comes right down to it, I want better light gathering binos.Most of the game I spot is just befoe dawn and dusk
and what good is a higher magnification if the bino cannot gather more light to focus on the animal.During daylight I can spot game just as well as the 10 power bino and cover more surounding area without out any unnescessary upper body movement.8x42 all the way.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Alistian, the binocular stay close to your chest while walking and you can bring them up with one hand. The straps are adjustable to fit you and so you can have the desired tension you want. the system slips on and off easily although I fine it easier to hold the bino steady with the system on even for long periods of glassing.