Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars? >

Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

Old 02-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

I'm close to buying a pair of Nikon Monarch binoculars -- probably 8x42. Does any one have any experience with these binoculars that you would care to share? I'm planning to use these binoculars for elk hunting in SW colorado, in high mountain country (10 k' to 12 k' -- looking across drainages and, I suppose, in the timber also). I've been on the fence between 10x and 8x, but have used 10x and feel that it is tough to hold them steady enough (10x70 mm Fujinon binoculars weighing 77 ounces -- too damn heavy and bulky for most hunting, I bought them for astronomy, an application in which they excel).
Old 02-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

I was pleased with the Nikon Monrach 8x40's that I used for a couple seasons. They are a very clear optic and certainly ne of the best in their price range. For the record, I find the Baush & Lomb Dicoverers to be a MUCH better optic for about the same price. I've since sold my Nikons and now use only the B&Ls
Old 02-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the monarch 10 x 42 and i am very happy with them. I also bought the bino buddy system that keeps the binoculars close to your chest. This system also helps you steady the binocular while you are using them.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Monarchs in 10X42 and have been happy so far. The only thing I didn't like was the objective end caps were loose. I ordered a set of Butler Creek flip-ups caps and that cured the problem. good glass for the money.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have owned a couple pairs of the 10x42s and have relatively good experience with the 8x42s. My advice would be to go with the 8x42 configuration. Here is my rationale:

1. 8x magnification provides a larger exit pupil (little round circle of light in the binocular's eyepiece when the binocular is held out in front of you) which allows more light to reach your own pupil thus giving you a brighter, more contrasty image. The larger exit pupil also makes it easier to hold the image in front of your eye since there is a larger surface area to compensate (5.25 mm versus 4.2 mm).

2. 8x magnification provides a better depth of field. Depth of field is the distance in front of and behind the main focus point that the image continues to remain in focus. For example, lets say you are watching some does feed 20 yards from your stand. Then, a buck walks out at 35 yards. With an 8x binocular the chances are slim that you will need to greatly refocus, if at all, for the change in distance. With a 10x binocular you most undoubtedly will have to.

3. In several tests done by reputable binocular manufacturers it was found that higher magnification does not necessarily allow you to see more detail (within a small, given range...7x-10x for example and assuming handheld). What does allow you to see more detail is the quality of the glass being used, the quality and number of chemical coatings on the glass and the reduction or elimination of visual distortions such as chromatic (color fringing) and spherical abberation (bending of the image along the edges).

4. As you have noticed, a 10x binocular is much more difficult to hold a steady image in. Imagine trying to hold place an 8 foot long stick into a small hole versus placing a 10 foot long stick into the same hole. Though it isn't an exact analogy the process is still the same.

I have had the opportunity to use a pair of the 8x42s and must say that they are a very good buy considering the price and the optical performance that they provide. I had a pair of 10s that served me very well for about a year but when I bought a second pair (the new camo version) I found that the spherical abberation in them occupied better than 1/3rd of the field of view....and subsequently returned them.

If you want some further, excellent information on binoculars in general, and in some cases the Monarchs in particular then please take a gander at the following links. There are some excellent reviews in some of them.

www.optics4birding.com
www.betterviewdesired.com
www.birdforum.net
www.opticsplanet.com

Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

PABowhntr:

You make a very good point about details or resolution which may practically be obtained with binoculars of different magnification power. There is a big difference between what I can see with my 10x70 Fujinons when (1) I hold them in my hands, even propping my elbows on my knees and when (2) I mount them on a heavy Slik tripod, for example when observing astronomical objects such as a star cluster like the "bee hive" in the constellation Cancer. Big difference. If you can't hold the more powerful binoculars substantially steadier than less powerful binoculars, you are not getting the benefits of the greater resolving power of the higher power binoculars, or so it would seem to me.

I had never thought about the idea that there might be differences in optical quality between a manufacturer's 8x42 binocular and 10x42 binocular in the same model. I take it this was in fact your experience with the 10x42s?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sam 444: Where does one acquire the "bino buddy" system you mention?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs today. They looked very bright and crisp in the store, but of course the proof will be how they work in the field, and I don't have any hunts planned soon. As a matter of fact, my real need for these is probably 18 months away, though I can use them sooner for occasions I really don't need them for. I need to be collecting my equipment over time, however, or the cost of buying six or eight major items all at once will overwhelm my pocketbook!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Alsatian, I got mine from cabela's It's called the Binosystem Binocular strap. I see they are on page 309 of cabela's master catolog spring edition 1These are the same ones I got.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good optic for the price however I agree with Il-Cornfed, B&L disc are better.
I live in Canada and bought mine on a site called BinocularsCanada.com.
Very competative prices and in Canadian Dollars.For my Nikon Binos I paid 345.oo Canadian.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Nikon Monarch Binoculars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.